Anyone mind helping me with my first setup?

Rares

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
NY, USA
I'll say this in advance, if this is the wrong section then I'm sorry, I wasn't sure where else to put this. If it is please just delete it and tell me where to go on the site, thanks!

Well, I've always loved fish since I was very young but we never had to many of our own. I want to have a 20g setup and need some help. The tank I'm looking at is from Petco and comes with a filter and all that good stuff. My issue is that I'm not %100 on what fish to get or how to take care of them. I for sure want to get a Pleco but i'm not sure what else goes well with them or generally how to take care of them.

I hate to come and bother you veteran fish keepers with such noobie questions but this is the only fish site that I've seen that seems nice and friendly and willing to help. Thanks.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
If you're set on a pleco, it would probably be best to consider a bigger tank. A very small species like a clown would be ok in a 20, but plecos are pretty dirty fish, so a bigger tank is always better

kdv9tb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Houton, TX
If I was you, I would look into getting at least a 29 gallon. another thing to consider is that you will need to let the tank cycle for at least a week. Then test the water parameters. Most pet stores will do this for you if you take a sample in. You will have to wait till all the ammonia is gone before you add any fish.
All fish are fine with plecos in my experience. I have some right now with my Clown loaches, and a bunch of live bearers, and they never bother each other. Make sure you do the research on the fish before you get them, though. Some fish need more room to swim than others, and the water parameters differ from fish to fish. Some prefer it hotter than others, and vice versa.
In my opinion, I would over filter the tank. If you get a 20 gallon, get a filter for a 40. I have done this on all my tanks, and have never been disappointed.

Rares

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
NY, USA
Thanks for the input on the size of the tank and filter. The only issue is that a 29 gallon tank is quite expensive and I only have about 150 to get everything. I'm sure I could get a full setup of a 29 gallon plus filter and all off craigslist but I'd honestly prefer to buy new. If I were to get a 20 gallon and a small pleco what would you guys recommend to go with it and in what quantity?

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
First, read here on the Nitrogen cycle. It takes longer than a week, and you have to test more than just Ammonia to make sure it's done:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwestcycling.htm
This is the most important, and most often skipped, part of starting a tank. It's absolutely crucial!

Secondly, understand that the 'Common' pleco many pet stores will sell you can grow over a foot long! Not only that, but they poop, poop, poop, and they can quickly foul water quality in such a small volume.

The Corydoras catfish may be a better bet for you. They're armored catfishes which stay small, and are schooling, so you would want a group of six for a 20 gallon tank. There are many different varieties. They are generally very active, in good, clean, warm water, and venture all over the tank.

As for other stocking options, some fish to avoid, first:
--The Dwarf Gourami -- the majority of the ones brought into the U.S. are sick with some Gourami-specific indovirus, and die shortly after purchase.
--The Molly -- will be suggested as a community fish, but is actually a bad one -- --Mollies need hard, alkaline water, and this doesn't mix with so many community fish. They are actually better kept as Brackish fish.
--Goldfish -- they grow large and are messy, requiring robust filtration.
--Bala Sharks, Rainbow Sharks, Iridescent Sharks -- all of these minnow-sharks grow fairly large (some grow very large -- think three or four feet!) and become gradually more aggressive as they age. They're not good community fish, and would quickly outgrow your tank.
--Most Cichlids -- most cichlids found at the chain stores -- Blood Parrots, Africans, Oscars, etc. are going to outgrow the tank you've got available and not be good community fish. There are some, such as Rams, that might work, if you find them -- a pair would probably be quite happy in a 20 gallon.
--Pacu -- don't be one of those folks. Please.
--Those cute little frogs they have -- require specific needs and usually don't mix well in community aquaria. The same goes for those cute little crabs!

Some good choices:
--Any of the smaller tetras, such as Neons, Black Neons, Glo-Lights, or Cardinals would work well in a tank this size. Their needs in terms of water chemistry also match the needs of the Corydoras mentioned above. All tetras are schoolers; buy a group of six or more. Most stay in the middle of the water column. Watch out for the larger tetras, especially Black Skirts and the Albino morphs of the same -- they can be nippy, and actually grow pretty big, for a little tetra!
--Hatchetfish -- a type of tetra (characins). Again, a schooler, but a top-level fish. Jumpers, so keep the tank tightly covered, but very active fish which will provide interest on the top level of your tank. Again, these guys have similar needs in terms of water chemistry and temperature as the Cories and other tetras.
--Guppies -- if you want to go the livebearer route, guppies are a good option. These, though, will not mix with the above fish well, as they require harder water in order to thrive. Make sure and purchase at least two females for every male because males are constantly wanting to mate and will stress the females.
--Danios -- are a great choice. A schooling fish, they like slightly cooler water than the fish listed above.

So, read up on each and every species before you buy, not once you get them home. Make sure they're compatible in terms of temperature, pH and KH, and personality/temperament. Read, read, read!

Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions!

Edit: My God this might be my longest post ever.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
for a small tank get a school of exodons, and you're a happyman

Rares

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
NY, USA
Thanks for the info, i'll be sure to read through the guide on nitrogen before I do anything. The only issue is that I don't want to sound like an idiot but I want cool fish.Guppies,Danios and Tetras are really plain, boring looking fish. I would like to get something really nice looking, this is why I said Pleco, they look neat and I heard they eat the grime from the side of your tank.

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
You're extremely limited by the tank size you've chosen. I was trying to suggest fish that will thrive in that tank size and result in a successful outcome for you. Also, I was mentally scanning the tanks at Petco. The fish I listed are pretty much what you're going to find there. These fish are popular because they're easy to care for -- good beginner fish. I'd start with some of these until you get the hang of fishkeeping, and then you can move on to more difficult species. Also, these fish are fairly cheap, and it seems you have a budget (in your initial post).

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Rares;3740604; said:
Thanks for the input on the size of the tank and filter. The only issue is that a 29 gallon tank is quite expensive and I only have about 150 to get everything. I'm sure I could get a full setup of a 29 gallon plus filter and all off craigslist but I'd honestly prefer to buy new. If I were to get a 20 gallon and a small pleco what would you guys recommend to go with it and in what quantity?
The business man in me would like to help you out.

The budget= a buck fifty. 150.00

Please search your craigslist for a great deal for a much larger tank with the whole set up. U must have patience in this hobby and why not have a little patience for a nice set up someone is willing to sell. I have seen many set ups in the 50g range with all the filtration for under 150. You just have to search daily. There are some people that hvae to move or cant keep up with this hobby anymore. This is where you should capitalize with your 150 dollars.

my .02 cents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store