Purposely Overstock to Sell . Right or Wrong

Is overstocking and then selling immediately for a profit Right or Wrong?

• Wrong

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Right

Votes: 27 58.7%

• Total voters

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
okay...

so there are a lot of x fish on the market. couple vendors have them. and when you buy more , you get better pricing.

is it ethical to buy more just to get the better pricing for yourself, and then sell some back out immediately for some profit. or would you call that selfish?

for ex.
from vendor, if u get more than 50 = $8
from vendor ,if u get less than 50 = $ 12
your selling at $10

some say that is helping the community by selling to those that cant afford to get many to get lower pricing. So if you are getting only a couple, then wouldn't you not care so much when it is already so cheap?

Wouldn't you feel ashame for betraying the vendors that worked so hard for you to bring them in at already affordable price, and you cheat on them by buying lots to get better pricing and selling back out for profit that should've been the vendor's reward for their hardwork ?

some say that, for those that bought extras so they can sell , is just helping the dats because lfs tanks are waaay worse. I doubt any lfs would purposely try to kill the dats, and if they know they cant keep them alive, logically they wont stock them. And what good does it do when you buy them, move them to ur tank, and then sell them , and move again.... thats stressful ?

shouldn't people just buy their own fish and pay the price they deserve to pay, and the price that the vendor deserve to earn?

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
what is a LFS?

and even worse .. how about petsmart or petco??? should we shut them down to .. all them fish in the little little tanks .. with poor water quality .. and feeding the cheapest food they can find...

i think you miss the BIG picture .. you have blinders on .. where do you think vendors get them from .. hint .. bigger vendors .. and they get them from even larger vendors ... it is called business .. if that was the case you would never go to the store to buy anything .. just go directly to the factory .. or even better .. buy the raw materials for a premium price and make everything your self .. so the people who really should get the profit do so ... but this would kill the economy because no one would have jobs and we would all be poor ....

should i go on ..

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
factory(or collector in the case of fish) , distributor, wholesaler, and at last retailer ... they each get their fair share of profit for their living. i dunno about you, but I'm a consumer, i believe retailer should get their fair share of profit too ...

petsmart and petco r chain store, to them, they dont think they are selling living things, they are selling "products" and they wont care as long as they are making money. Which i agree is very unethical and sad. But at least they are not getting wild caught fish and harming the wild, they use farm bred fish which they make in "factory" as a "product" . again, thats sad, but we can't really stop them. and as u said, thats economy, they are just getting their share of the pie, and i truly wish that they could treat their fish better...

so... as a consumer, if you cheat on a retailer, dont you think you are stealing their piece of pie, doesnt that hurt economy instead?

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Consider it this way.
If people DON'T overstock the tanks, they have nothing to sell. If they get enough tanks to hold all the fish, they never make any profit because they are always spending money on filtration and tanks, they go out of business. Then our hobby goes down the tubes.

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
pupumole;3740627; said:
factory(or collector in the case of fish) , distributor, wholesaler, and at last retailer ... they each get their fair share of profit for their living. i dunno about you, but I'm a consumer, i believe retailer should get their fair share of profit too ...

petsmart and petco r chain store, to them, they dont think they are selling living things, they are selling "products" and they wont care as long as they are making money. Which i agree is very unethical and sad. But at least they are not getting wild caught fish and harming the wild, they use farm bred fish which they make in "factory" as a "product" . again, thats sad, but we can't really stop them. and as u said, thats economy, they are just getting their share of the pie, and i truly wish that they could treat their fish better...

so... as a consumer, if you cheat on a retailer, dont you think you are stealing their piece of pie, doesnt that hurt economy instead?
so giving the money to someone who is making more money then 99% of the population is better then someone making $60 by selling 30 fish at a $2 profit each ..

i really dont care about petco .. i would much rather get my fish from MFK members .. **** i had to drive 3 hrs to pick up my dats .. from a MFK member .. which i could have picked up from a LFS for 3x the price .. if not more ..

i also went to detroit which is about 2 1/2 hrs away to pick up my rays .. which i payed $100 each for .. now the LFS that i could buy them for $250+ each and i have no idea what i am going to get ..

even if the price was the same or even more .. i would much rather give the money to someone in the hobby then some company..

its my money .. i work hard for it .. and i will spend it any way i want .. and who are you to tell me i need to spend it in any other way ?? and the post that this came from ... its his money .. his fish .. and he can do whatever he wants with it/them .. get off it .. its none of your business anyways ..

some people buy "feeders" which is just another word for pet fish that people use so they do not feel bad about buying the fish for the sole purpose of feeding them alive to another fish .. but people dont cry about that .. because its "ok" and its accepted ..

its not my place to say anything other then ... freedom ..

jikiya7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
ohio
how exactly are they being cheated ?

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
Bottomfeeder;3740667; said:
Consider it this way.
If people DON'T overstock the tanks, they have nothing to sell. If they get enough tanks to hold all the fish, they never make any profit because they are always spending money on filtration and tanks, they go out of business. Then our hobby goes down the tubes.
Wish i can edit my original post... what i meant to say ask is...

as a responsible pet owner, hobbyist... on the consumer level. we shouldn't have to overstock our tank to make money right?

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
I say who cares what other people are doing ;) worry about your own money and your own tanks. If you think that vendors dont care about bottom line profits then you're seriously mistaken and have a lot of growing up to do. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store