How fast does Prime work?

RAWfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2009
NC
I use Prime water conditioner for my basic community tank. I usually use the recommended 2 drops per gallon as I fill a bucket and almost immediately pour it into the tank. This has never seemed to cause any problems, but should I be letting the mix sit overnight anyway?

Thoughts?

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Its instant. No worries.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I use it mere seconds before adding the water and haven't had problems with in a few years of using Prime

Burtess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
Ontario, Canada
As above....

Many dose Prime to the tank when they are refilling with the Python. I have never had any problems doing it this way.

Burt :)

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
however fast chemical reactions are... it takes that long...

brianhellno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
USA
There was a huge thread about this question that had a lot of responses. Some people said its bad for your fish and others said that its no big deal. I guess it probably just comes down to how much chlorine/chloramine your water has in it.

I walked away from the thread feeling that while it could potentially be harmful to add prime to your tank and then add untreated water there was no evidence to suggest that this is actually harmful short term or long term. I feel that if you add the correct amount of prime to the conditions your tap water presents, which is the key in this statement, then tap water straight to the tank shouldn't cause any problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store