Water going to clear?

phobull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
In Yo Mind
Hi peeps,

Just a quick question i got a standard 4ft tank set up and i been trying to clear the water. I did have a canister in it b4 but the canister is broken so i got a big aqua1 hang on filter. Anyways i only got 2 fishes in it and in the pass 5 days i done 3 water changes but the water still not clearing up.

Anyway how can i clear it up? the colour is lightt yellow. PH and etc is all good.

Im feeding the fishes very little until the water is clear.

Or isit cos the canister makes it clearer?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Is the hang on filter new? Did you do anything to cycle the filter? What are your water parameters, such as ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? What ph level do you consider "good"?

brianhellno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
USA
From what I understand yellowish water is caused by DOCs (Dissolved Organic Compounds) and is present from a variety of different situations. Usually driftwood is the cause but it can also stem from an algae bloom (although unlikely), abundance of fish waste or various other circumstances. The main concern is that it could effect your PH causing it to change over the course of 24 hours possibly causing harm to your fish. What is your current PH and what is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at?

I would recommend daily testing and water changes to make sure your parameters stay in check and maybe look into adding carbon to help pull some of the chemicals out of the water. Another possibility could be you don't have enough filtration to keep up with bio load or mechanical filtration and this could be a factor.

Since you said I just got a standard 4 foot aquarium I'm going to go out on a limb and say its more than likely a parameter problem.

phobull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
In Yo Mind
Yeah testing is all good i had the canister and hang on filters at the same time. The canister has a massive leak on it so thats why i got rid of it. The hang on is kinda new, it has carbon and just the wooly ting thats it.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
seachem makes a product called clarity. It's a flocculant which means that small particles bond to it, and then aggregate together which makes them bigger and thus easier for your filter to screen out. Might be worth looking into.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store