Below tank sump pump adjusting.

Carpet Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have a 180 gallon tank that is new to me "Bought it used" and i have a question on setting the water leval in the sump. The bulk head tube is in and flowing really good and the return pump is pushing more water then the over flow tube can handle. Now down on the sump take it shows the water leval and so fourth, The pump is sucking air. So basically what I did was on the line were it feeds back into the tank there is a vale that you can shut off.

I shut the valve just slighty and got the water leval adjust just right in the sum tank. Is this how you adjust it?

TIA
Rich

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Carpet Man;3748743; said:
I have a 180 gallon tank that is new to me "Bought it used" and i have a question on setting the water leval in the sump. The bulk head tube is in and flowing really good and the return pump is pushing more water then the over flow tube can handle. Now down on the sump take it shows the water leval and so fourth, The pump is sucking air. So basically what I did was on the line were it feeds back into the tank there is a vale that you can shut off.

I shut the valve just slighty and got the water leval adjust just right in the sum tank. Is this how you adjust it?

TIA
Rich
Rich, welcome to MFK and glad to see your local!

What pump and what size plumbing are you running? Yes you have a ball valve and that is how you restrict the flow to make sure you don't empty the sump and overflow you tank. Put the ball valve at about 60% flow and give it 5 minutes. Keep turning the ball valve open a few degrees more then wait, until you find the "sweet spot". Once you know where the overflow cannot keep up, make sure the ball valve is adjusted back down a bit.

Carpet Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Grundfos 15-45 Looks like 3/4 inch plumbing. It had a wad of fiber in the strainer part. I took that apart and that was when all hell broke loose. I have the sweet spot that you are talking about now. The wad of fiber was restricting the flow. Now I know you do the adjustments on the shut off valve. Day two into this adventure. :)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Carpet Man;3748796; said:
Grundfos 15-45 Looks like 3/4 inch plumbing. It had a wad of fiber in the strainer part. I took that apart and that was when all hell broke loose. I have the sweet spot that you are talking about now. The wad of fiber was restricting the flow. Now I know you do the adjustments on the shut off valve. Day two into this adventure. :)
The wad was probably to reduce the noise (gurgling sound) from the overflow return pipe. Are you sure it's 3/4"? That sounds rather small for a 180g. If it's the tank I think it is from Johny it should probably be 1" ID pipe. (600 GPH)

Carpet Man;3748808; said:
How do you edit after you notice a sentance that just don't look right?
Hit F5 (refresh) and click on the "Edit/Delete Message" button under your post. This will only be an option for a few minutes after you post a reply though, I think it's 15 minutes but I can't remember. :D

Carpet Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
JK47;3748852; said:
The wad was probably to reduce the noise (gurgling sound) from the overflow return pipe. Are you sure it's 3/4"? That sounds rather small for a 180g. If it's the tank I think it is from Johny it should probably be 1" ID pipe. (600 GPH)

Hit F5 (refresh) and click on the "Edit/Delete Message" button under your post. This will only be an option for a few minutes after you post a reply though, I think it's 15 minutes but I can't remember. :D

The fibers where inside the strainer of the return pump. Think it might only be 1/2. I will love into it more tomorrow when I get the one way check valve replaced.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store