Nitrate and Nitrites. did I un cycle my tank??

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
I have a 500 gallon running with a few canisters until I can get the sump running this week. Anyways, I always try my best to keep my water really clean for the rays. I changed out the media in my canisters the other day and the bio filters were covered in crap and other waste. I did not wash them out but I did rise them to remove the waste. The next day my tank water was kinda cloudy and i tested the water for nitrates the the test showed the water was in the red zone,( very high nitrates ) and dark purple for nitrites. In a panic, I did a 70% water change on the 500. Filled it back up, let it sit and then did another 30% water change. Then I tested the water and still showed the same levels. After 8 hours of water changes and still showing these readings.At this point I am very frustrated. Today I did another 25% water change and then still with very similar results. I always keep my water decent so why did this happen???!!! Then it got my thinking. I am showing high nitrites. When I rinsed the waste off my bio filters, did I rinse off to much and uncycle my tank? Any opinions on this or why I am having this problem?

therevolution

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2009
maryland
rED O;3748795; said:
When I rinsed the waste off my bio filters, did I rinse off to much and uncycle my tank? Any opinions on this or why I am having this problem?
Did you rinse with tap water? If, so you could have messed up your bacteria.

Also if you are using the api liquid test kit, I notice that when my tester bottles are getting low, I tend to get high readings no matter how much water i change.

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
Yes I did you tap water. Wow, this is one of those mistakes that you make in the hobby to learn and advance. But I hope I don't lose my fish in the lesson. A buddy of mine is selling me a whole bunch of established bio media and I am going to get the sump going tomorrow or sunday with the media in hopes i will not lose my fish. No curling buy the rays so thats a good sign i guess...

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Have you checked what your tap water levels are too?

Steve

rojowe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Ontario
definitely dont rinse biomedia with tap water...i did this once on my 90 gallon a while back and ended up killing everything in my tank....good luck with your rays I would hate to see you loose them....get the sump up asap with the mature biomedia

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
With some help, we spent all day on got the sump up and running. I bought some established media from friends. After a few hours of my sump running my nitrates are under 10 and nitrites were close to 5 and now back down to 0.

All good :headbang2 and no lost fish

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
dmopar74;3751457; said:
so your nitrates dropped just by running the sump, no water changes?
both. lots of water changes... water bill is going to be chunky this month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store