Need help with ALGAE please

BC Rainbow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
New Brunswick
Need some help identifying Algae and possible solutions that i can do without adding chemicals.

Heres the tank setup

55gal semi planted tank no moss yet
Filters
- Fluval 2plus submerged filter
- Aqua clear 300 (charcoal, biomax, sponge)
- yesterday i added another Aqua clear 300 to see if this will help
Fish
- 2x bristlenose pleco approx 2"
- 8x kribensis approx 1-1.5"
- 12x zebra danios approx 1.5"

Lighting
- 12h lighting period
- HO T5 2x 54W 18,000k bulbs

Temperature
-300watt fluval temp 80 deg F

also did a 50% water change yesterday.

house water
- well water
- UV filter

pictures are after the water change.

100_1078.JPG

100_1076.JPG

Err

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2009
Austin Texas
Looks like brown algae on the leaf of that plant. Is your tank pretty new? If so its fairly normal for some brown algae to show up. Weekly water changes/vac and makeing sure you dont over feed are the best 2 ways to control algae.

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
Your lighting is on too long. I had the same problem. I set the light timer for 8 hours instead of 12 and don't have a problem anymore. To kill the algae turn off lights and cover with a bed sheet or blanket for 48 hrs. Then reset the timer for 8 hours a day. Hope it helps

BC Rainbow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
New Brunswick
thanks for all the info and i will try the lower light period. i do weekly water changes about 20% normally with vac. tank is only a couple months old and i got some mulm from a reliable source. When i last checked the water params ammonia and nitrite are at 0 ph 6.8ish.

mdb_talon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
ofallon, mo
I agree that lights are on too long if this is a fairly new tank. I use a 12 hour lighting period on my planted tanks, but they are long established tanks. I also suspect that phosphates may be large source of your problem. If your well water is high in phosphates then water changes will unfortunately not help at all. I would get a phosphate test kit and test well water as well as the water in your tank. If that is an issue you will need to get those phosphates out of the water or will likely be in a constant battle with algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store