What do you do with dead fish?

NightStalker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Toronto
Self explanatory.

I used to flush the small ones down the toilet, which someone at the LFS told me was bad because they may carry disease.

However, the lake they are being dumped in has so much crap in it anyway I was sure it made no difference, and the majority of deaths were not disease related.

However I stopped doing this and just resorted to trash or my neighbors backyard ;)

How about you?

How about the monster fish that pass away? I would assume they would muster up quite a stench in the trash can as they rot waiting for the garbage truck.

Then again some people don't even have that service so what do you do?

poly-nomial

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
knew jerzay
I used to always flush them. Sick, dead, almost dead. Now next time i find a dead fish i am going to bury it. But if i had like a 3-4 foot RTC that died i would.... Uhhhhhhh......... I have no other idea than to put it in huge garbage bags and wait for trash day. But i am proud to say i have only lost one fish and that fish was a 2$ fish that jumped out. Not due to any poor fish keeping skills.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Compost pile or buried in the garden. I have had fish "pushing up my potatoes" more than once.

Vincentii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2009
London, U.K
depends how my fish died.if it died without disease i sometimes cute it up and freeze it and feed to my other fish. my arowana died in summer and it was 26'' long and me and my brother was going to fry it. but, after a few phone calls to friends to see wether they wanted to join in on the feast , and got a lecture that it was wrong and in the past the tank that it was living in once had anti-white spot treatment in the water. we decided it was best not to. and instead took the arowana to the park and burried him.

Youngbuck5009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
Detroit, MI
straight into the piranha tank where they go to good use lol

shadowavenger77

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
CT
if my small fish get killed by my blue lobster then i will feed them to my bullhead catfish. if my fish die from disease then i will go down to a pond and feed the snaping turtles.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
shadowavenger77;3750125; said:
if my small fish get killed by my blue lobster then i will feed them to my bullhead catfish. if my fish die from disease then i will go down to a pond and feed the snaping turtles.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

An excellent example of irresponsibility and exceptionally poor judgement.

Here's an idea, take a fish that is native to another continent, have it die of some random disease that NOTHING in your native waters has any immunity to and then toss it in. Great plan.

Wow.... some people really just don't get it.:screwy:

And we wonder why there is such a push to ban the pet trade.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
smaller fish get put in the trash, where the neighborhood strays get to them it seems no matter how good i hide or bag them.

bigger fish, and fish ive had for a long time, go 2-3ft under in the veggie garden, except my big 22" pacu. he has his own spot next to the shed to help start pushing up a nice tree in springtime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store