Which stingray to go with?

blacksnow

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2009
Monoculus ;)
I've had 2 stingrays so far.

First was a retic, and it arrived in VERY bad shape =O. I treated it for parasites, but could never get it to eat, and it ended up dying =[

The second was yepesi ray. It arrived in better shape. I had it for about 4 months, and 1 morning I woke up and it was dead in the tank. All the other fish were fine, and my parameters were good. Still a mystery as to what happened.

I'm debating trying a stingray again. I'm thinking either a hystrix or a marble motoro. I know they say motoros are hardy. Wondering if the same applies for hystrix.

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
Hystrix should be treated like retics IMO. Need to be careful for the first few weeks, once acclimated and eating they are fine.

Motoro would be your best bet, hardy and easy to acclimate. Also look better to IMO.

blacksnow

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2009
Monoculus ;)
jwong1024;3754923; said:
Hystrix should be treated like retics IMO. Need to be careful for the first few weeks, once acclimated and eating they are fine.

Motoro would be your best bet, hardy and easy to acclimate. Also look better to IMO.
Ya I keep looked at jeff raps thread of stingrays and I can't lie the motoros he has are beautiful. something about the hystrix though. i really like them.

think I'll try a motoro ;)

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
superleggera123;3754940; said:
i suggest flower.. IMO
but motoros are nice too
While I agree, Flowers are one the best looking rays out there, they are definitely
not a beginner ray. They can be finicky to get eating and are very sensitive to
stress or pressure in competion for food.
Get a motoro/marble or Mantilla (Pedro has a male) to start with. Get your feet wet and enjoy.
Then expand if you feel comfortable with a little more difficult ray. Plus a flower gets larger and will
need a larger system to upgrade to eventually.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
ShadowStryder;3755069; said:
While I agree, Flowers are one the best looking rays out there, they are definitely
not a beginner ray. They can be finicky to get eating and are very sensitive to
stress or pressure in competion for food.
Get a motoro/marble or Mantilla (Pedro has a male) to start with. Get your feet wet and enjoy.
Then expand if you feel comfortable with a little more difficult ray. Plus a flower gets larger and will
need a larger system to upgrade to eventually.
Agree!!!

Hystrix seem to be finicky on what they start to eat. I have one that has been on ghost shrimp for a couple of weeks and doesn't want to eat anything else. I have another that in the same time started sampling and then eating other items. At the 5-6 inch size of rapps's they should be a lot easier to get on other foods.

wg666666

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
Philly
FishDog;3755191; said:
Agree!!!

Hystrix seem to be finicky on what they start to eat. I have one that has been on ghost shrimp for a couple of weeks and doesn't want to eat anything else. I have another that in the same time started sampling and then eating other items. At the 5-6 inch size of rapps's they should be a lot easier to get on other foods.
I purchased a 6-inch male hystrix from Rapps about 2 weeks ago. It ate chopped nightcrawlers 10 minutes out of the bag!!.....he is in my 240 wide with a 16-inch female motoro, and he is eating great....he also eats frozen bloodworms and an occasional piece of krill......I really like him....cant recommend Rapps enough for his fish! Great guy who takes care of his fish!

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
Go Potamotrygon motoro. They are cheap, easy, hardy and adjust we11. They are genera11y good eaters, too, and they don't get too huge.

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
abortedsoul;3757511; said:
Go Potamotrygon motoro. They are cheap, easy, hardy and adjust we11. They are genera11y good eaters, too, and they don't get too huge.
Is your "L" key broken? :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store