Not open for further replies.

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
Ways of taking good care of tigers
How to house them after buying

After buying comes the next step: How to house them. Tigers generally can grow quite fast if proper care and food is given to them. So, as a general measure, you will need at least a 3 feet tank to house them in. They can grow in excess of 1 feet, so you will definitely need to upgrade your tank in future if you are housing a few of them in the same tank. A proper filtration system would help greatly in their growth rate too. A bare tank is usually recommended as they can produce quite a lot of waste, and is much easier to maintain also. However, if you are creative enough, you can choose to landscape your tank so that it looks more presentable. The only drawback of this is that you will need more time to maintain the plants, gravel etc.

Water conditions

Tigers generally thrives best in waters of pH 7.0-7.5. However, they are hardy creatures, so even in slightly acidic or alkaline waters, they will still do well. Be careful not to let your pH fall too acidic (below 5.5) or too alkaline (more than 8.5). Reason being beneficial bacteria (BBs) will all be wiped out and your tank will be thrown into havoc as your ammonia and nitrate levels go haywire. pH too alkaline, your tigers will contract cloudy eyes disease. You will need to monitor your water parameters (eg. pH, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite) on a weekly basis to ensure optimal living condtions for them to thrive in.

A heater is actually not necessary due to Singapore's hot weather all year round, but if your tank is in an air-conditioned room, you will need one. White spots is a common problem in those tanks with fluctuating water temperatures. A heater installed would help to eliminate this. Tigers generally thrives best in temperatures between 24-28 degrees celsius.

Food/Diet

As tigers originally came from the wild, therefore their most natural food in their environment would be live fishes. However, as more and more tigers are farm bred nowadays, they can be made to accept other kinds of food like market prawns, frozen bloodworms, mealworms, superworms, chicken meat,Feeders,Guppies and even pellets. A mixture in diet for them would be good.

As to the frequency of feeding them, it's entirely up to the individual. If you can afford it, you can feed them twice a day. Otherwise once a day is good enough cos these creatures eat like there's no tomorrow!

How to make them stable

guess this must be the most common problem for all tiger keepers. It is really unsightly to see your tigers all black, and at the same time it's even more frustrating when you cannot get to enjoy their true beauty. Tigers, in my opinion, are very unique and challenging fishes to keep. It is a challenge as you need to find out the optimum conditions for them to show their beauty, and this is no mean feat. Unlike other fishes, they are not easily pacified by just good food and good water conditions only. Below are a few factors which you have to play around with in order to achieve a tankful of goldie babes:

A. Tank size (the bigger, the better)
B. Water conditions (as above)
C. Lighting (generally tigers don't do well under strong lighting)
D. Diet (having a balanced diet also helps)
E. Tankmates (Sometimes help them to settle down)
F. Other external factors like an extra powerhead to generate extra current for them to swim against, air disk to improve aeration in your water and background of your tank.

The above list is of course non-exhaustive, there are 101 factors which you will come across as you go along. There is no right or wrong way about it, you will have go by trial and error to achieve that winning combination.

7. How to have a successful community tank

A lot of us here actually have more than 2 tigers in a tank, and some with even more. They also come across situations where their tigers are chasing and flaring within the same tank. The most common question they ask is : How to achieve a successful comm tank?

As in every other comm tank (besides tigers), there will always be minor fights and chasing around, resulting in injuries like torn tails, split fins, bite and scratch marks on the body etc. However, it is nothing to worry about if the injuries aren't too serious. All the above injuries are actually small ones which can recover quite fast. You have to be mentally prepared that these will happen if you intend to keep a comm tank of tigers. However, a lot of care and effort goes into a successful comm tank too, such as introduction of other tankmates, having a powerhead, ensuring that there's a fair share of food going round etc. You will discover more as you go along. Below are some tankmates which go well with tigers:

A. Freshwater stingrays
B. Birchirs
C. Asian arowana(Preferred)because australian are very aggresive.
Not too big that tigers can fit into their mouth
D. Clown loach
E. Flagtail
F. Spotted dollar/Silver dollar
G. Sexfaciatus
As tigers are known to be lazy eaters, bottom dwellers like rays and birchirs are excellent for cleaning up the balance food at the base of the tank after every feeding session. This will save you a lot of trouble as you don't need to scoop up all the uneaten food and maintenance will not be a headache too.

I just want to contribute this one so if you still have an idea on how to improve this thread,feel free to add here.

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Nice, pretty informative and straight to the point. Thank you!

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I know there has been much debate over this, but how are you certain that Dats are being bred now? As far as I know, they are still all wild caught.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
most of the dats sold here in the Philippines, especailly Manila are being imported straight out of breeders from singapore. i've been asking owners (of the LFS) and that is their response. but i can't speak in general though.

nomad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Colorado
peewee;3755901; said:
most of the dats sold here in the Philippines, especailly Manila are being imported straight out of breeders from singapore. i've been asking owners (of the LFS) and that is their response. but i can't speak in general though.
Personally I believe that dats bred in captivity are just a myth and I will not change my mind unless I see a video proof.
Being a pricey fish any potential "breeder" would be more than happy to share pics/vids of his facility as this translates into free advertisement ..... so far hundreds of threads and not even one picture surfaced the web.

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
sorry but i was just asking LFS owners that i've visited. i have no solid proof to prove that either.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
peewee;3755314; said:
Ways of taking good care of tigers
How to house them after buying

After buying comes the next step: How to house them. Tigers generally can grow quite fast if proper care and food is given to them.
You say that Tigers grow quite fast but do not back up this statement with any documention.So, as a general measure, you will need at least a 3 feet tank to house them in. They can grow in excess of 1 feet, so you will definitely need to upgrade your tank in future if you are housing a few of them in the same tank. A proper filtration system would help greatly in their growth rate too. A bare tank is usually recommended as they can produce quite a lot of waste, and is much easier to maintain also. However, if you are creative enough, you can choose to landscape your tank so that it looks more presentable. The only drawback of this is that you will need more time to maintain the plants, gravel etc.

Water conditions

Tigers generally thrives best in waters of pH 7.0-7.5. However, they are hardy creatures, so even in slightly acidic or alkaline waters, they will still do well. Be careful not to let your pH fall too acidic (below 5.5) or too alkaline (more than 8.5). Reason being beneficial bacteria (BBs) will all be wiped out and your tank will be thrown into havoc as your ammonia and nitrate levels go haywire. pH too alkaline, your tigers will contract cloudy eyes disease. You will need to monitor your water parameters (eg. pH, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite) on a weekly basis to ensure optimal living condtions for them to thrive in.

A heater is actually not necessary due to Singapore's hot weather all year round, but if your tank is in an air-conditioned room, you will need one. White spots is a common problem in those tanks with fluctuating water temperatures. A heater installed would help to eliminate this. Tigers generally thrives best in temperatures between 24-28 degrees celsius.

Food/Diet

As tigers originally came from the wild, therefore their most natural food in their environment would be live fishes. However, as more and more tigers are farm bred nowadays, they can be made to accept other kinds of food like market prawns, frozen bloodworms, mealworms, superworms, chicken meat,Feeders,Guppies and even pellets. A mixture in diet for them would be good.
Until we see some proof, this is a false statement.

As to the frequency of feeding them, it's entirely up to the individual. If you can afford it, you can feed them twice a day. Otherwise once a day is good enough cos these creatures eat like there's no tomorrow!

How to make them stable

guess this must be the most common problem for all tiger keepers. It is really unsightly to see your tigers all black, and at the same time it's even more frustrating when you cannot get to enjoy their true beauty. Tigers, in my opinion, are very unique and challenging fishes to keep. It is a challenge as you need to find out the optimum conditions for them to show their beauty, and this is no mean feat. Unlike other fishes, they are not easily pacified by just good food and good water conditions only. Below are a few factors which you have to play around with in order to achieve a tankful of goldie babes:

A. Tank size (the bigger, the better)
B. Water conditions (as above)
C. Lighting (generally tigers don't do well under strong lighting)
D. Diet (having a balanced diet also helps)
E. Tankmates (Sometimes help them to settle down)
F. Other external factors like an extra powerhead to generate extra current for them to swim against, air disk to improve aeration in your water and background of your tank.

The above list is of course non-exhaustive, there are 101 factors which you will come across as you go along. There is no right or wrong way about it, you will have go by trial and error to achieve that winning combination.

7. How to have a successful community tank

A lot of us here actually have more than 2 tigers in a tank, and some with even more. They also come across situations where their tigers are chasing and flaring within the same tank. The most common question they ask is : How to achieve a successful comm tank?

As in every other comm tank (besides tigers), there will always be minor fights and chasing around, resulting in injuries like torn tails, split fins, bite and scratch marks on the body etc. However, it is nothing to worry about if the injuries aren't too serious. All the above injuries are actually small ones which can recover quite fast. You have to be mentally prepared that these will happen if you intend to keep a comm tank of tigers. However, a lot of care and effort goes into a successful comm tank too, such as introduction of other tankmates, having a powerhead, ensuring that there's a fair share of food going round etc. You will discover more as you go along. Below are some tankmates which go well with tigers:

A. Freshwater stingrays
B. Birchirs
C. Asian arowana(Preferred)because australian are very aggresive.
Not too big that tigers can fit into their mouth
D. Clown loach
E. Flagtail
F. Spotted dollar/Silver dollar
G. Sexfaciatus
As tigers are known to be lazy eaters, bottom dwellers like rays and birchirs are excellent for cleaning up the balance food at the base of the tank after every feeding session. This will save you a lot of trouble as you don't need to scoop up all the uneaten food and maintenance will not be a headache too.

I just want to contribute this one so if you still have an idea on how to improve this thread,feel free to add here.
Some information was not correct in your post to be a sticky. I know you have good intentions here and I do feel that @ MFKer's we need a care sheet for Tigers. Mods are waiting for the right write up tobe written I am still waiting. Your post was very informative and I am sure you spent some time in writing this. Maybe others that love Tiger Datnoids such as yourself with more experience can add to this also.

Reactions: Tgefishwhisperer

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
jardinis can be aggressive,and not jardini are very aggressive,every fish is different

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store