yesterday i bought some blood parrots

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
yesterday i bought a couple juvenile blood parrots and they wont stop hiding. will they ever stop hiding and is there anything i can do to help them get used to there new home quicker?

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
If there are bigger fish in the tank, they might be hiding out of fear. But new fish usually just need a few days to acclimate and then they'll be swimmin' around :)

mamapuff

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Austin, Texas
Mine hid a lot when I first got them. It took them a few days of hiding to finally come out and start exploring. What kind of tank mates do they have, and what kind of decorations? Mine love caves and in particular, my one eyed baby loves a hollow tree stump which she shares with a channel cat and a black ghost knife. Give it some time, be patient and they will come around. Its good you got a couple so they have each other. The older they get, the more like puppies they become. I have one huge male that dances up and down the glass with the shoal of loaches. Kinda odd, but funny to watch.

mamapuff

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Austin, Texas
That shouldn't be a problem then. My baby hides still and I think she's a bit intimidated with the big severums and the big parrot in there. I had moved a female over to my 150 get a break from her horny mate, and she kept trying to take on my Frontosa. The front is 3x her size. So needless to say I was laughing my @$$ off when I saw the Fronts mouth covering the parrots face up to her eyes. Never hurting her. Just showing whos boss lol.

mamapuff

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Austin, Texas
You can try turning the lights off too and sitting there. My little one is still kinda shy, but i think it has a lot to do with her only having one eye. once she sees me she gets curious :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store