Plant only filtration?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
I picked up a 55 gallon tank today for free. The only thing wrong with it other then being super dirty is the top plastic brace is broken. I'm thinkin of doing a rimless planted riparium style tank. I really like the look of them.

My question is would a well planted riparium provide enough filtration for a few small fish? I'm thinking of putting one of my mated kribensis pairs in it. Possible booth pairs if enough hiding spots are put in.

Could plants alone fitar the tank? Or perhaps the addition of an air driven sponge filter like I use for fry tanks?

Sorry for any spelling errors. Typed this on an iPhone

spongebob281

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
houston
Depend on how many fish and how much you feed them. If you could find some porous rocks that can act as a biological filter...that should help. I dont you any mechanical filter on my big fish tank. The only thing i have going is tons of live rocks and planted fuge. And lot of water change of course

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Intresting. I have a canister filter I can put on it. Or a diatom I can run once a week. But I was wondering if I planted it thourghly if it would support 2-10? fish. I would probaly still put a air driven sponge filter in it just in case to keep it oxynated. But for the most part I want this to be a super clean look. i.e. no hoses or pipes. It will be in my living room and am going for a nice show piece.

Like Hydrophyte show stopping beautiful riparium.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
vladfloroff;3758724; said:
You'll need good lighting and probably CO2 to pull it off but yes it can be done. You will need power heads for circulation.
I have powerheads and good lighting and CO2 isn't needed for above water plants. They draw the CO2 from the air not the water.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
vladfloroff;3758895; said:
If you have above water plants only yes but they won't oxygenate the water.
Well the powerhead would cover that pretty well wouldn't it. With enough surface disturbance anyways.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store