For Gator Gar keepers, Kinda makes you mad

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
Most "responsible" bow fishers will eat them...so it probably wasn't a complete waste, it probably fed their families quite a few delicious meals.

In fact one of the last bow fishing DVD's I watched had a segment that showed step by step how to bone out the meat off a gator gar. The one taken in the video was only about 4' but it produced two "back straps" the size of something you would see come off a giant bull elk!

Even tho aquaria is one of my passions, I still bow fish when ever I get the chance. The laws in my state prevent me from taking anything other than NON-game species. So I shoot alot of grass carp, which helps out all the other inhabitants of the lakes.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I shouldn't of jumped to conclussions on what they did with the fish. I know a lot of deer hunters around here that just hunt for show. If you kill something that impressive to feed your family then I am all for it. Just for show then I am not.

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
FishDog;3759204; said:
I shouldn't of jumped to conclussions on what they did with the fish. I know a lot of deer hunters around here that just hunt for show. If you kill something that impressive to feed your family then I am all for it. Just for show then I am not.
Exactly, when I began hunting almost six years ago, I made a promise to myself, the day I quit respecting the animals I pursue and let them go to waste is the day I would put down my bow and never hunt again. To this day, I haven't yet let an animal I have harvested go to waste...including the grass carp. :D

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
wow what a beast. but it is kinda sad to see these monsters get killed for sport, especially considering how old they are. feel this way about any big, old fish that has survived all these decades only to get killed in this way. but hey, i hunt and fish so i have no room to talk :)

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
i suppose it is better that they killed a fully mature adult that had probably already had a chance to breed, as opposed to killing a juvenile

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
I have personally never consumed one, but they are a white meat that looks like it would be extremely tender and flaky once cooked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store