125 gallon aquarium stand build thread

breakspirit

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Hey guys, just wanted to share the process of building my aquarium stand with the world. It is for a 125 gallon tank that I got a couple days ago from petsmart on sale. It is 6 feet wide and will weigh around 1400 pounds when filled, so I way overbuilt my stand.

It's based on a blueprint that is commonly used and easily found elsewhere, as is depicted below:
148629DIY_Stand_Template.jpg

I should note that this is the first wood working I've ever done anywhere near this scale and fortunately had lots of help from a friend of mine.

This is a shot of the top and bottom frames assembled. The top is 2x6's and the bottom is 2x4's
pics 064.jpg

This is me in the hoodie holding a leg and smoking. I love this picture.
pics 069.jpg

Four Legs assembled.
pics 072.jpg

Frame completed. Could hold the weight of many 125 gallon aquariums probably.
pics 076.jpg

Top and bottom are both plywood, all other paneling is cheap project panel. 11 bucks for a 4x8 can't be beat.
pics 079.jpg

Everything is done but the trim, wood filling, and painting.
pics 082.jpg

We put the trim on this morning and moved it into my living room, which is a different house entirely from that seen in these pictures. I lacked a basement/garage in which to do the work. I'll post more pictures as work progresses. I'd love to hear comments and questions and ideas, so throw them at me.

breakspirit

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Maduro;3760332; said:
looks like it will do the job.
I know that at the stage it's in in the pics, it looks very utilitarian and kind of ugly. Right now it's trimmed and already looks way better. I'm thinking I'll be painting it glossy black. Anyone have thoughts on the best sheen for such a piece of furniture? Seems like the glossier, the better, in my opinion. I'll be sanding the hell out of it tomorrow and likely painting it in the next few days. Like I said, I'll keep this thread updated so as to help any future aquarium stand builders. Also, I want to show off my hard work :naughty:

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Nice job on the stand. We built one for our 125G using the same plans. Very easy plans to follow & very sturdy.

breakspirit

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
003.jpg

Here it is with all the trim attached. This is as it is right now in my living room. Tomorrow I hope to sand/prime/paint it.

I plan to do a sump filter setup with this tank, which I've never done before and everything I've learned about it, I've learned from Monster Fish Keepers. I ordered an overflow from glass-holes.com by recommendation from someone else here. It should be in in a few days and I'll probably make another thread going into the specifics of that whole thing if anyone is interested. As far as I know, Zennzzo is the only regular here who has used one of their products and posted about it.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
breakspirit;3760771; said:
As far as I know, Zennzzo is the only regular here who has used one of their products and posted about it.
Not true, do a search here on "juicyfruit" and you'll find a few others. Promise. ;)

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Stand looks good. I would paint it black, but that's just my flavor.

johnthesalty

Feeder Fish
Jan 26, 2010
jax fl
I will be building the same soon but I'm going to put adjustable shelves on it instead of doors but one could always go back and add doors to it with no problem.

Wulfonce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2009
Ontario
maybe I missed it but is that for a 125 long? 72"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store