will his lip ever grow back ?

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
hi guys im sort of nervous of posting here as i know im going to get flamed but here we go:

ive been keeping several convicts in with my piranhas originaly out of the hope that they would breed and i could use them as feeders well recently my only pair out of the 4 got busy and theres probably 50 or so little babies swimming around next to mummy and daddy. Heres the problem today the convicts were obviously doing the usual thing and keeping the piranhas at the other end of the tank and away from their babies (its rather funny to see a 3 inch fish chase off six 5 inch ones lol) apparently though daddy got a little too aggressive with one of the piranhas and tried to "lip lock"(you know how cichlids usualy fight) with one of them and well leave it at piranhas have some nasty teeth the poor fella lost his lower lip (just the lip though the mouth seems to be intact it seems as he can still eat normaly)and has some damage to his upper lip

my question is do you think the " lip" will ever grow back ?
if you guys need pics ill see if i can get some

and believe me ive learned my lesson no more cons with my piranhas as soon as the babies get a little bigger the cons are going back into my 29 as i dont like to see them suffer like this :(

EDIT: woops just noticed i put this in the media lounge if a mod could move it please it would be much appreciated

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
Zander_The_RBP;3760312; said:
hi guys im sort of nervous of posting here as i know im going to get flamed but here we go:

ive been keeping several convicts in with my piranhas originaly out of the hope that they would breed and i could use them as feeders well recently my only pair out of the 4 got busy and theres probably 50 or so little babies swimming around next to mummy and daddy heres the problem today the convicts were obviously doing the usual thing and keeping the piranhas at the other end of the tank and away from their babies (its rather funny to see a 3 inch fish chase off six 5 inch ones lol) apparently though daddy got a little too aggressive with one of the piranhas and tryed to "lip lock"(you know how cichlids usualy fight) with one of them and well leave it at piranhas have some nasty teeth the poor fella lost his lower lip (just the lip though it seems as he can still eat normaly)and has some damge to his upper lip

my question is do you think the " lip" will ever grow back ?
if you guys need pics ill see if i can get some

and belive me ive learned my lesson no more cons with my piranhas as soon as the babies get a little bigger the cons are going back into my 29 as i dont like to see them suffer like this :(
lol if it is suffering take it out and cut it into strips and then put it back in and see if it tries to fight ur phiranha

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
devder1;3760318; said:
lol if it is suffering take it out and cut it into strips and then put it back in and see if it tries to fight ur phiranha
Sorry what was that ? a cruel attempt at a joke thanks your really helping me out here

you have 2k posts id figure by now youd be a little nicer by now geuss not or maybe all cichlid owners are like this and you'd see why i was hesitant to post here in the first place :irked:

suffering would be an exageration it would probably be nothing more than a mere inconvienence to him as hes eating normaly (tossed in a few flakes to see if he could)

Pharaoh;3760322; said:
I doubt it will grow back!
thanks for the quick and polite reply that sucks if it wont grow back :(

ill keep and eye on it to make sure it dosen't get any fungal/bacterial secondary infections

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
devder1;3760318; said:
:ROFL: Good sound advice.

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
i would go ahead and separate them after all they are convicts they can always make more babies lol, and i would also put salt in the 29 with them (1tsp per gallon) to help his lip heal and help prevent infection, also if its just the very outer lip portion then it might grow back but if its going into the jaw part then i doubt it will but as long as he is still eating fine and everything he should be fine GOOD LUCK

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
Zander_The_RBP;3760339; said:
Sorry what was that ? a cruel attempt at a joke thanks your really helping me out here

you have 2k posts id figure by now youd be a little nicer by now geuss not or maybe all cichlid owners are like this and you'd see why i was hesitant to post here in the first place :irked:

suffering would be an exageration it would probably be nothing more than a mere inconvienence to him as hes eating normaly (tossed in a few flakes to see if he could)
haha im being dead serious! i know many phiranha keepers use convicts as feeders for their p's, and if it is too aggressive for your P to eat, you can put it out of its misery in a humane way while still getting a good feeder out of it ;)

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
yes the lips do grow back.

I've seen fishes lips ripped off hanging to all the way off with no lips. They all grew back. For fishes older than half their life spans might take longer or might not. idk.. The bigger and older they are the longer they take to heal.

Sorry to hear about that.. Take good care of the poor thing please.. He's hurting bad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store