How do YOU rasie your PH???

poly-nomial

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
knew jerzay
I don't do it because my water is already so hard. But if i were to i have heard that if you put crushed coral in a filter bag and hang it in your filter it will raise the pH. There are also additives but i stay away from those.

To lower it (as i am doing now) i put driftwood in, it works like a charm and looks great.

Good luck

Da Chosen SouL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
San Jose, CA
Thats a good idea about putting it in the filter.. I might do that.. I use PH powder mix buffer.. Like API.. Use mix it in a cup and pour it in the water.. No rebound. So far so good.. IDK about liquid though..

Err

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2009
Austin Texas
If I need to raise the PH or KH I load some aragonite (spelling?) into the basket of my Magnum 350 and run it untill the test start to show what I want.

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
small doses of drano

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
If you are adding powders/ mixes and other chemicals to your water to control the pH: you are asking for BIG troubles.

Using crushed coral or drift wood is infinitely safer. The pH will remian relatively stable and shift very slowly either up or down.

A stable pH that doesn't swing is by far the most important pH to keep your tank at, regardless of number. If you are adding chemicals to your water you are pushing your pH in one direction or another rather quickly.... so each water change, your pH swings back, you add more stuff its swings again. And God forbid you should accidentally run out of stuff, then you either can't change your water that week, or if you do, you have another pH swing... its all bad juju.

Put crushed coral in your tank some where to raise it (in a bag of panty hose in the filter, or mixed into your substrate) and put in more drift wood to lower it. Stable, safe, cheap, no forgetting to add it by mistake, no accidental over/under dose....

Its a no brainer, anyone adding chemicals with each water change is taking big chances, for no valid reason, with their fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store