silver side fish food

tigrey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
jamaica
the lfs said that i can buy this salt water silver side fish and feed it to my freshwater fish. what is the best way for me to prepare this food? if some one can give me some info on silverside that would be great.

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
i used to feed them, i just cut them into appropriate sizes for the fish i was feeding, you can wash em to get any exess salt off. i prefer feeding market shrimp though, i find silversides, and smelt too, too oily, it can cloud the water and make your hands stink nasty

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
i prefer to feed my fish whole mackeral i buy at the grocery store. I got mine 3 bucks for a bag of about 6-8, 14-16" long fish and i just cut em up while still frozen and thaw the individual piece i am feeding. i do have to throw away the heads though

the leftover bones look interesting if you collect them and and palce them in a pile in the tank lol

all the same nutritional value as silversides but much larger and im pretty sure cheaper too

but yes you can definatly feed saltwater fish to freshwater fish but its even better to feed say both types of fish plus crusteaceans(shrimp prawns etc) and molluscs (squid, octopus) and pellets for a complete diet

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Silvers are OK, but I've started feeding frozen Tilapia. It's a high quality protein source and are relatively cheap. I bought a box of about 20 filets for $15. I eat them and so do my fish. They thaw within 15 minutes of being placed in warm water. Cut them up and you got a lot of meat to feed your predatory fish.

tigrey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
jamaica
just want to try all different kinds of foods. when i cut it up should i throw the head in for them to eat too?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store