advice needed for 600 gallon beginner

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
ok... so long story short i started using this site earlier last year intent on getting a shark... i have researched and researched and researched but i stupidly bought a tank before i really knew enough. since then i have decided that i should stick with fish only and MAYBE a couple of very versatile coral that can handle low to high light. however most of the research i was doing on sw was geared towards sharks and not sw fish. so now im looking for advice. the tank is not set up and won't be for a month or so. Im basically looking for advice on equipment, setup, cycling this size tank, and some ideas on stocking. would it be either to handle a predator tank? "community" fish? herbivores? carnivores? etc.... my tank is around 600g its about 120" by 30" by 48" it has duel overflows with bioballs built into the back. thank you in advance for all the help and criticism im about to recieve as i remember being bombarded with useful info and scolded for my foolish ideas as a noobie the first few days. however i do appreciate all the info and ideas you have. thanks =)

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
Im going to be moving to Arizona so you should just hold onto the tank and sell it to me. :)

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
how are triggers for a first time saltwater enthusiast? are they a hardy fish? ive run into other tanks with triggers groupers and eels mixed and matched before as well. any other stocking suggestions?

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Fisher Branch, Manitoba, Canada
That tank is enormous! You are going to be spending a lot of money on salt for wc (probably a $100 bucket/week), at least 600 lb of live rock ($3000), 5 pendants for mh ( 5 250w bulbs and ballasts $1500) and a large protein skimmer ($1000). If you have a sump, you will have to figure in a decent return pump ($500). You will also need quite a few power heads to move the water around in such a large tank to keep corals alive. It would look amazing though! A variety of tangs and angel fish would work well. Triggers would be nice too (not with coral though).

Or if you go fw, that would be an amazing stingray and arowana community tank. Or Pbass. You have a lot of options (lucky guy). I am so jealous!:D

RyanP

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
South
carcrazy;3772787; said:
That tank is enormous! You are going to be spending a lot of money on salt for wc (probably a $100 bucket/week), at least 600 lb of live rock ($3000), 5 pendants for mh ( 5 250w bulbs and ballasts $1500) and a large protein skimmer ($1000). If you have a sump, you will have to figure in a decent return pump ($500). You will also need quite a few power heads to move the water around in such a large tank to keep corals alive. It would look amazing though! A variety of tangs and angel fish would work well. Triggers would be nice too (not with coral though).

Or if you go fw, that would be an amazing stingray and arowana community tank. Or Pbass. You have a lot of options (lucky guy). I am so jealous!:D
If hes got the money to buy the tank, hes probably got it for supplies. From what ive researched, triggers are pretty hardy fish. I read somewhere that people have actually cycled tanks with them like damsels.

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
i will post pics once it gets up and running (a ways away) and also i understand its not going to be cheap. i have been looked into all this like i said. but what ive been told is in such a large tank water changes can be done at about 30% ever couple of months or sooner. also ive been told that i don't necessarily need a protien skimmer and as for the pumps and what not ive been keeping my eyes out for an old pool pump as im thinking a sump would be a pretty good idea here. Also corals are a BIG maybe.... im not at all decided on those as im content with a fish only tank. i wanted to keep corals as an option

shark_curious

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
az
if anything i say is wrong please tell me! i have talked to my local petco, petsmart, local owned fish store. multiple forums. a plethora of saltwater/shark books. as well as picked the brain of "the ocean floor" down in phoneix az. and all i get is conflicting statements about certain practices and equipment needed. so i guess i need to start with the basic. plan for a saltwater fish only tank. the hardyer the fish the better and after i get all that worked out the possibility of advancing to some hardy tolerable corals down the road (and yes i understand this limits my choices of fish).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store