BREEDING RED BELLY PACU

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Not sure how to tell the sex on pacus. But most likely you will never be able to get them to spawn in the home aquarium. They need a very very large pond and spawn by scattering the eggs and the male fertalize them. They will also eat the eggs.

Most spawning you hear about are on huge fish farms where they enduce spawning and have hundreds of fish spawn at a time so that they still get eggs left over. Plus they are able to seperate the eggs from the fish.

So basically you really don't have a chance of spawning them unless you have a huge pond.

Ps, turn off caps lock

Jason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
I believe some Pacu are bred commercially in ponds for aquaculture purposes in SA however their mature size would likely make breeding them in an average tank about as likely as a pig fly past me on my way to work tomorrow. However some people do have 12 foot long six foot wide tanks so i'm not saying its impossible just improbable.

Would be something to document since some piranha form nests and show some protection (i believe correct me if i'm mistaken please, i think i recall reading that about gold piranha years ago). I wonder if pacu form nests or scatter like most tetras.

Jason

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
Why would you want to breed pacu? There cool fish, but what would you do w/ thousands of fish that can grow over 24"?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I've never heard of an aquarium spawning. I've only heard of captive farm spawning.
Pacus spawn from Oct to June. Females lay from 59,000 to over 400,000 eggs. Pacus are egg scatterers and avid egg-eaters. So, if you were somehow successful in spawning them, in aquaria, you'd have to remove the adults after they're done spawning.
Pacu farms coordinate the spawn of their broodstock with introduced hormones so all females lay eggs at the same time.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Why would you want to breed Pacus despite the fact that they grow to huge sizes they are about as common as beer in a bar?!?!?!?

te9500rpm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Philippines
www.friendster.com
im sure this guy dosnt know much about pacu's yet.. hey u can buy my pacu's if u love em LOL

i need someone who can give my pacu's proper housing.. never thought having a pacu would be so complicated..

goodluck on the breeding LOL

Weasel F.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2006
Amarillo,Texas
I have just found a guy who has spawned red belly paco's in a home tank. I thought he was full of it but I have alink to his dauthers post on it. I about fell ver and there's even pictures of the spawn.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=80508

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store