Dats

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Can someone please point me to a website that would have some information on Dats?

This friend of mine working in an LFS can give me a 4" Dat for $20 bucks... the only thing is my largest tank is 75 Gallon (old NYC building will not hold much more then a 90). How long would it take a 4" to outgrow a 75?

fahaka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
75 Gallon will due! My Tiger Datnoid grew from a sickly little 1.5" to the size of a dinner plate in one of my 75's in about 2 years no problem, got super thick too!
$20 bucks is a good deal for a 4" Dat.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Great price for a datnoid no matter what kind. It would take 8 mos to a year probably to outgrow that 75. And if it does, you wouldnt have a hard time getting buyers for it so i say go for it !

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
They grow big...monstrously big..30 inches ++ wild caught but it takes time to grow em out... i commonly see them at 15-20 inches in home aquaria. they do fine in 180 g tank..

theyre ambush predators so they prefer some plants where they can hang out and lie in wait. they eat meaty foods like krill ,shrimp , pieces of fish . etc.. Other than that, theyre very hardy and tolerate a wide range of water params.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
redtailfool said:
They grow big...monstrously big..30 inches ++ wild caught but it takes time to grow em out... i commonly see them at 15-20 inches in home aquaria. they do fine in 180 g tank..

theyre ambush predators so they prefer some plants where they can hang out and lie in wait. they eat meaty foods like krill ,shrimp , pieces of fish . etc.. Other than that, theyre very hardy and tolerate a wide range of water params.
Great. I am running to call the guy right now to hold the fish for me! Ill prolly go pick it up tomorrow! :D

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
I am sitting here reading about them and there are so many places saying that they need brackish water. How true is this?

RockyGoldy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Singapore
Vitaliy said:
Great. I am running to call the guy right now to hold the fish for me! Ill prolly go pick it up tomorrow! :D
Yes...by all means..go ahead and have the fish bagged!! they are awesome giants and when you have them in their monster size..they just come right infront of ya and beg for feeding!!

this is my biggest Dat with some aro tankmates:

fahaka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
Just buy it, you'll like it.
Keep the same water he's in at the LFS

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
In thailand at least one dat spec. lives all the way from mangroves tidals right next to mudskippers all the way up to small FW creeks in the bamboos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store