Seahorses Expensive?

Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2005
Wichita,Ks
I my latest fish surfing I have looked at some seahorses and so far have seen some pretty high priced stuff. It was only 4 years ago that I bought three yellow seahorses for $15 BUCKS EACH. Whats the deal because the lowest I have found is 60 now.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
3 of my LFS have tankraised ones for $15 through $25. No idea what they were but I thought they were pretty common since my LFS has them all the time.

flamingonhot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2006
wisconsin
Most seahorses these days are expensive due to the fact that they are captive bred. If you see a seahorse in the 30 range or less either it's 1. Wild caught 2. A dwarf seahorse or 3. It's a small one they are trying to get rid of.

Honda, your lfs may be getting in dwarves, or they are wild caught. Tank raised can mean many things with any fish, in the "seahorse world" it can mean about 4 different things. Most likely they were taken from the wild when young; then raised in a tank for a few months. They shouldn't be that cheap unless they were dwarves.

My reidi I bought about a month ago (see avatar) was about 65.

Jason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
I remember hearing that most if not all seahorses are tank raised now, mostly in Hawaii, australia and i think starting in florida. I think CITES put their foot down on the harvesting of them....too bad i'd be my car its done NOTHING to stop the curio trade in dried seahorses.

The ones i've seen in mid michigan have been running 30-60 each and vary from species and color variant. All are listed as tank raised and coming from Preuss's in Lansing i dont doubt it. Never been to a better pet store than that, probably will never find one in michigan. I cant wait to see their new location when i get some time.

Jason

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
I have never bought Seahorses but I have early memories of mail-order ads in comic books to buy live seahorses and have them shipped to your home. The price was cheap from what I can remember and this was the first time I ever heard of mailing fish,does anyone else know what I'm talking about??

flamingonhot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2006
wisconsin
Big E, what your thinking about was probably when they used to have ads in magazines for Dwarf Seahorses, they are labeled as "the easiest to care for seahorse", but they are actually somewhat harder.

Most seahorses are on the CITES list, dwarves are only labeled as DD, or data deficient so you can take up to 20 a day.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
$40 for kellogi, $80 for yellows at liveaquaria. Yellow, $45, reds $65, dwarf $25 for 3, H. erectus (lined) $30, all these are current prices on Aquabid, most are the same seller.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store