Ever bought a fish at Asian market?

spongebob281

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
houston
Saw some live fish they sell at an asian market not too far from where I live. Not sure what theyre call because i was in a hurry. Talapia i think. There were dozens in a big holding tank sold as fish food. I'll ask for price and name next time i stop by.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They are probably tilapia and they may have other types as well.You never know what turns up in those places as just about anything seems to be fair game.I was looking around in one of the markets here and they had a big box full of soft shell turtles piled up on top of one another.One store sells live barramundi.

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
krichardson;3793004; said:
I was looking around in one of the markets here and they had a big box full of soft shell turtles piled up on top of one another.
Live?

An asian market got busted for selling live snakehead a few years ago.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
TTTT;3793196; said:
Live?

An asian market got busted for selling live snakehead a few years ago.
Yes they were live.I've heard of the snakehead busts,they must be quite tasty.

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
i always do, some catfish tilapia and milkfish...always see live snakeheads but never bought them though.

mgk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2010
nowhereville
krichardson;3793712; said:
Yes they were live.I've heard of the snakehead busts,they must be quite tasty.
i think they have cultural value, like to remedy a sickness or something

Cartel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Laurel, Maryland
mgk;3795081; said:
i think they have cultural value, like to remedy a sickness or something
Thats how the orginal snakehead got loose here. A man bought 2 in a D.C. fish market and made some remedy for his sister out of one. When she got well he decided to release the other as a good deed. Well you know the rest of the story....Dont quote me though. Iv also seen barramundi.

abrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2009
Millersville, MD
A local "International Foods" market here in Glen Burnie, Maryland has LIVE Tilapia, Black Bass, Flounder, Eels (2-3 footers :eek:) and a few others I didn't recognize. They even have a card table set up with a live Blue Crabs running around on it... self serve. Took the kids there the following weekend, it was like a mini trip to the zoo while getting shrimp. :grinno:

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
^ oo flounders : D freshwater flounders? how big?

as for me, ive not bought anythin from the asian market to keep . ive seen (other than the normal stuff) some european bream or something, and some color morph ( probably xanthic/albino since it was goldenwhite ish) giant sucker fish ( not pleco, i mean like a carp with a sucker mouth) .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store