Netting Stuck to Mouth. Please Help.

teohha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
Malaysia
While transferring my gar to his new tank today, it chewed off a piece of netting and a small piece of netting got stuck to its mouth.

What should I do?

Just let it be and hope that it falls off? I am afraid of some infection. But it seems to be doing fine, and has not lost its appetite since the move.

OR

Try to remove it. Honestly the prospect of trying to remove something from a mouth full of teeth is a little daunting. And i am not sure netting it again is a good idea.

Please help.

Sorry for the bad photo.

CIMG3540.JPG

Noddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Ede-Holland
that a shame.
I never had the trouble myself, but I'd say wait a while for the net to fall off.
That is if it hasn't cut into his snout.
If there are cuts, the wound could start to infect, just to get the net out.
Please don't use the same net if you are gonna catch him!
I'm sure some of the gar experts will know what to do exactly.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
was this standard, relatively thin, aquarium net material, or was this something much stronger? if it was the usual aquarium net material then i would just leave it alone...it should likely fall off on its own eventually. there's likely to be much more stress if you take the fish out and try to remove it yourself.

keep us posted, but just leave the fish alone for now and keep an eye on it. don't worry, it will be fine--
--solomon

Mercury2234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
Orlando, FL
I am sorry to bring the bad news, but It's best to put him to sleep...
The best method is the good old baseball bat to the head.

LOL, just kidding, I would just wait...if he is still eating, I would reckon it does not bother him much...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store