Astatheros Nourisatti

Ghage

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2009
Ca
Looking for information from anyone who's kept one of these great looking Cichlids. How big did it get, and what was it's temperament like. Lastly, any reccommended tankmates and what's the recommended tank size. Any information would be much appreciated as well as pics. Thanks.

ira

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2009
Bronx NY

This is the male of a wild collected pair I had a few months ago 8-8.5" he ate a varied diet and got along great with a group of large geos.

Jeffrey P

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Manassas VA
I've got a 8.5-9" male in a 150 with a Chocolate, Robertsoni, Heterospilus, JD, Centracrchus, and a Severum.

Very active and eats like a pig. Pretty laid back fish. Dominate over the severum and cent only.

I'll post pictures once I get some.

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Treat them like a CA geo. Offer them sand to sift and smallish foods. They do best in groups of five+. In smaller groups they can get a little picky on each other, but they're certainly no killers! A 125 gallon would be nice for a small group of these guys.

Add a bunch of dither fish to make them feel more comfortable too. They can be a little shy otherwise. They're not predatory, so you can use all kinds of reasonably sized fish as dithers. Livebearers, large tetras, bards, etc. would work. I wouldn't use aggressive cichlids (convicts, etc.) unless the tank is plenty large.

ira

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2009
Bronx NY
cchhcc;3802205; said:
Treat them like a CA geo. Offer them sand to sift and smallish foods. They do best in groups of five+. In smaller groups they can get a little picky on each other, but they're certainly no killers! A 125 gallon would be nice for a small group of these guys.

Add a bunch of dither fish to make them feel more comfortable too. They can be a little shy otherwise. They're not predatory, so you can use all kinds of reasonably sized fish as dithers. Livebearers, large tetras, bards, etc. would work. I wouldn't use aggressive cichlids (convicts, etc.) unless the tank is plenty large.
Excellent advice Chris.

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
They are listed as available at Don Conkel's Tropicals, but I don't know if the list is up to date. I purchased a couple from Cichlid Connection a few years ago (it's my understanding they are connected with Conkel) but they are not currently listed on the website. I'd get them again in a heartbeat - great fish.

TMSB805

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Laurel Maryland
Haven't seen them for sale in since i purchased mine about 3 years ago. My favorite cichlid. I'm trying hard to get my to spawn. I have 1 male and 3 females. A lot of courting but nothing yet.

Pics when they were about 4 inches
CSC_0062 copy.jpg

CSC_0060 copy.jpg

CSC_0058 copy.jpg

[YT]AlTdg8tP2_4[/YT]

CSC_0062 copy.jpg

CSC_0060 copy.jpg

CSC_0058 copy.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store