Yellow Convict (Cryptoheros nanoluteus) HELP

RickyOutlaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
Chicago
Yellow Convict (Cryptoheros nanoluteus)

A really a nice fish. It’s on the ACA Cares list as endangered.

I have someone willing to sell a pair for 20 dollars.

My question is should i obtain these ?

I heard they are one of the more sensitive species amongst the Cryptoheros genus.

Reduced: 85% of original size [ 600 x 400 ] - Click to view full image

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
I have read the same that they are indeed more sensitive to keep than the others in their genus. Interesting to know that they are endangered. I just picked up a couple from my lfs for about $5 each(~1" long). It appeared that a breeder must have brought in an entire brood of them - they had 20+ for sale. If they are a matched pair and proven, I would imagine they are worth all of $20. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
They are a great looking fish. Just as easy to keep as Convicts. We collected some of them in Panama. Just don't confuse the species by calling it a "Yellow Convict" The only thing they share is the species name. Grab them if you have the opportunity.

unkle_billy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
chicago
I have a pair that I have kept in Chicago water for quite some time now in a community tank with no problems. I got mine for free but I have seen them on aquabid for under $10 per fish. I like them for many reasons. YOu can try and breed them but it is unlikely. If they were easy to breed they would probably not be endangered. If you do get them to breed the difficult part is raising the fry that come in small batches have a high mortality rate and grow extremely slowly. YOu should totally pick them up.. how often do you run across these guys?

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
They aren't endangered yet, listed as Vulnerable on the ACA Cares list ... which was recently update, lyonsi used to be the only endangered Central American cichlid, but now myrnae has joined them.

Lots of posts on various sites mention them not liking any water movement, and remember they are one of only two central americans that tend to come from softly acidic water ... so normal CA rock hard water might not be the best especially for breeding.

clgkag

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
missouri
Pick them up. They are great little fish. My largest pair breeds like clock work. I give them 2 or 3 weeks of around 72 deg. then bump it up to 78 or 80 and within 4-5 days they are over eggs. You won't regret getting them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store