Jaws- had an accident, kinda worried

FishPrincess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2009
NYC /Orlando FL
Little Jaws BG: Florida Gar- He was measured yesterday @ 9 inches and is on a diet of rosey reds 4 days a week and frozen tilapia the rest of the week.

So Yesterday was Tank cleaning day for my big guy. I usually place Jaws in a 55 gallon tank while i do a breakdown and entire clean on his tank. So while in his tank, I places a cover with the Snap and Lock to make sure he doesn't get out :irked:-well it didint work, Next thing i know I have a Florida Gar on a towel that i (thank god) left on the floor. While my Husband freaked out :nilly: looking for the net. I gently grabbed the big guy and placed him back in the 55 gal with a weight on the cover and the snaps. He was Flushed for a good 5 minutes but regained color and swam a bit. I also noticed a bit of red on his nose.

24 hours after the incident- he's not eating. His color is good and the concern is also he's laying at the bottom a bit more than usual (he's usually at the top of the tank or swimming mid water), breathing is good. The 3 minnows i placed in his tank last might are still Alive and kicking, meanwhile their usually gone by morning. He turned his Snout from the frozen Tilapia which he "oh so loves". so something is up.. Still a Newbie to the whole Gar keeping, my nerves are bugging me- is there anything i could do ?
:help2: please.

**forgot to mention tank temerapture is at 82 degrees, and water is up to "gar standards"..lol

Noddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Ede-Holland
uhm, i say it's not nescesary to take your fish out of the tank every time you do maintenance.
The netting will stress the fish and stress will often cause sick fish.
I say give him some time, he made quite a bash.
Hopefully he'll come around soon.

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
good luck with your gar. just give it time. the gar not eating means its either shocked / stressed or injured. if the color on the nose does not go away over the next few days then the injury may need some treatment. can you post some pics ?

q_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Los Angeles CA
i dink he might just me stress, give it a week or soo.. it might still be in shock because it was probably a hard landing for it
good luck with it

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
q_fish;3802936; said:
i dink he might just me stress, give it a week or soo.. it might still be in shock because it was probably a hard landing for it
good luck with it
landing was supposedly soft (on towel). gotta see the injury to know how bad the damage is.

is this the only gar you have ?

FishPrincess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2009
NYC /Orlando FL
I just picked him up with my hands..lol i was doing an entire tank cleaning with 100% water change. at least every few weeks i'll do a tank cleaning, i usually do 25 and 50 % water changes throughout the month. I have a soft net which he actually swims into- as if he knows..lol

*yes he is the one and only- he's my baby

pics:
1 :

and 2:

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
thats a nice looking gar u got. nice and thick.
doing 100% water changes are not good but we'll leave that for another thread. the injury doesn't look that bad. the snout/beak is still straight and intact so it heal in a few days. your gar looks well fed so even if he doesn't feed for sometime it wont harm him. good luck again.

FishPrincess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2009
NYC /Orlando FL
Ah okay thank you so much.. lol I will knock the 100% water changes. I was worried about my baby.. yep i keep him "fat" and happy..lol as far as a fish goes for happy..lol

aidenb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Canada
100% changes can wipe out benficial bacteria colonies leading to an ammonia spike which may be what is stressing him out.

FishPrincess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2009
NYC /Orlando FL
Update: there's a minnow missing and jaws has a tail sticking out of his mouth.. i guess he's a bit better.. Now all we can do is wait for that little spot to heal. thanks for the help you guys. I'll just stick to 40% water changes every couple of weeks instead of 100%

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store