How to convert 4-5" NTT's off live food?

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Hey guys I had my 5 x 4-5" NTT's for about a week now. Everything seems good with them. Problem is they won't accept anything but feeders. I've fed them 3 times minnow size feeders and now I stopped buying them cuz locally they are hard to find the size I need. Is it ok to starve them at this size? I've tried frozen blood worms, mysis shrimp and krill and they don't seem to bite...Is there another way or anyone know how to convert them off live? Help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

mubu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2009
Orange County, CA
5 inches is big enough I'd say. Try starving them some-- and throw in mysis shrimp. Try using a garlic scent.. fish seem to love it. I go fishing using garlic and sometimes it works...

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
My baby indos now eat hikari carnivore sticks using the Mysis shrimp soak technique.

johnnycoolxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Grandma's Basement
Put some frozen bloodworms and live worms in a cup. Soak it with Seachem Garlic Guard for 10-15 mins. It should get some of your NTT's to eat the bloodworms. Keep doing it until they eat the BW and replace BW with mysis shrimp next time, always soaking it in Garlic Guard. The garlic and mixing w/ already accepted food should get all of them to try new foods.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
how i trained my dat's to get off live food was i bought frozen krill and i peeled the skin and threw in the tail. it will sink and your dats will get hooked. try it!

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
johnnycoolxx;3803402; said:
Put some frozen bloodworms and live worms in a cup. Soak it with Seachem Garlic Guard for 10-15 mins. It should get some of your NTT's to eat the bloodworms. Keep doing it until they eat the BW and replace BW with mysis shrimp next time, always soaking it in Garlic Guard. The garlic and mixing w/ already accepted food should get all of them to try new foods.

Ah that's what the secret ingredients is:) Thanks I'll give it a try and thanks everyone for the advice. Hope this works. I've starved them for about 3 days already...

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
3 days is nothing. I've had tigers take anywhere between 1 week to 8 months before they ate what I wanted them to eat as staple food.

Don't give in even after 4 weeks. Usually the tiger will give in by then, and eat what u want. If however u feed live after a couple of weeks, your back to square 1.

It all depends how long u can watch your fish starve?

Marinating method is proven successful and can speed up the process.

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Ade;3805118; said:
3 days is nothing. I've had tigers take anywhere between 1 week to 8 months before they ate what I wanted them to eat as staple food.

Don't give in even after 4 weeks. Usually the tiger will give in by then, and eat what u want. If however u feed live after a couple of weeks, your back to square 1.

It all depends how long u can watch your fish starve?

Marinating method is proven successful and can speed up the process.

Ya true 3 days is nothing cuz I've starved one of my large Pbass's for 1+ month. I just didn't think they could handle the starvation at a young age and size. Ya I will never go back to live. I don't want to start all over, it's a pain in the butt...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store