Too many Oscar's dying around here

Bulldog93

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2008
United States
These fishies live 10-18 years, but for some reason the ones in this forum barely make it to 6.

I think you guys need to reevaluate your husbandry. I'm not trying to sound brash, but it's something I've noticed for a while.

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
when you think about it, oscars are so common that they're probably inbred really, really badly, which causes an early death.

Octofasciata Aficionado

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2009
Pikeville, NC
Could be genetics, people "can" live to 120. 6 years isn't awfully short, but you're right it certainly isn't 18. Of course, if we went with the average age of an O I'd guess it's around a week tops.

oscarcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Houston, TX/Juneau, AK
Bulldog93;3803959; said:
These fishies live 10-18 years, but for some reason the ones in this forum barely make it to 6.

I think you guys need to reevaluate your husbandry. I'm not trying to sound brash, but it's something I've noticed for a while.

Ouch

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
screaminleeman;3804067; said:
Baltimore!:irked:

Did I answer the question correctly?
You mean Bodymore, Murdaland?

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
How did you arrive at the 6 year figure? Did you take a poll, or did you just see a few threads with 6 year old dead oscars and draw the conclusion that everyone's a sorry fishkeeper? Naturally you're going to see more threads with people having problems with their oscar or dead oscars since asking for help is one of the primary functions of an internet forum.

Good job insulting one of the best fishkeeping forums with a blanket statement based on incomplete information.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Bulldog93;3803959; said:

Most of us probably sell or trade the fish off because we got into something more MONSTER....or---->we turned the tank into a sump because, well 6 years of maintaining a Oscar will give someone a dam good feeling of creating an ultimate filtration unit......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store