Automatic Water Level

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Here is a simple design to maintain your water level if you do not have a sump filter.

It is an all plastic toilet fill valve mounted inside a four inch PVC pipe with the bottom end capped. The bottom cap needs to be drilled to mount the toilet valve and to provide a connection to the main tank.

The PVC pipe needs to be mounted at the same or close to the same level as the top of the tank. See the picture for clarification. The two blue water lines will remain level to each other. No, you can not mount this under your tank. Yes you can mount this remotely. You can mount this to the back of your tank or you can mount this in your neighbors back yard, just as long as the two blue water levels are the same. The water level in the PVC pipe will dictate where the level in your fish tank will be. If the pipe falls on the floor, that is where your fish tank water will be. Use your best judgement in securing the pipe to whatever...Those few of you (you know who you are) get someone else to do it. :ROFL:

Auto Water Level Controller.GIF

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Here is a diagram with an overflow cut below the water level. A picture is worth a thousand words...

Auto Water Level Controller 2.GIF

moxxommox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2006
Australia, Sydney
So.... are you planning to have it hooked up to a main? or just another bottle, or tank or something that you have to re-fill anyway, good idea, but to me seems kinda pointless..

:)

:screwy:

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
So.... are you planning to have it hooked up to a main?... ...:screwy:
Yes, a water supply. I was hoping that was obvious when I wrote in the diagram 'water source'. I cater to the lazy...oh, and those that can figure it out and go.

It won't kill you (or your landlord) if you run a pipe up to a little hole in the ceiling or through a wall for your water supply. Refridgerator water supply kits were intended for :confused: people in mind. They are easy to install but will require a little action on your part. An aquarium is not something you are ever going to move. (If you do regularly move it, it is called a fish bowl and this will not help you.) When you move or leave the hobby, fill the hole with dry wall mud or plaster. The house is going to need to be painted anyway. Going through the ceiling to any water source is the lazy mans way of doing it because the plaster or mud will dry white to match the ceiling. The plumbing job is easier too; just not really pretty.

When I said 'lazy' above, that was just a figure of speach. That translation is to reduce the maintenance so you can do other things. This is still a project unto itself and will require work and some thought on your part. Some folks have their aquariums entirely in their basement, giving them a special advantage to their house plumbing and this better suits them.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
And before someone posts about drip systems and overflows, yes, I know about them. This is an alternative for those who may benifit from it. Everyone does not have a system like yours or the cash to blow on that new gadget at the fish store. Think about that before you post negative or thoughtless comments.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Oh brother :wall: If you have to ask for your parents permission to punch a hole in the wall and modify the house plumbing, please keep in mind that most of us don't. Sometimes I forget these things, sorry.

moxxommox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2006
Australia, Sydney
Whoa whoa whoa…. What’s with all the hostility, I was simply was asking a few questions.

How about this idea, it may set you back about 15 bux!

What you need : big bottle with tight lid, (soda/soft drink bottle) air line, air line regulators, air pump, timer switch (one that can be programmed weekly with 1 minute intervals rather then 10 – 15 min ones. But if you have the air valve I don’t think it should matter,

The air pump in on a timer, it turns on for 1 min or what ever, pumps air into the soda bottle which has been drilled and got an inlet hose from the air pump to a submerged hose, below the water level so that it does not create a siphon effect.

Anyway. So the pump pumps air into the bottle, and then pushes water thru the other hose (because it’s air tight) into the tank. Every now and then un-screw the cap and re-fill the water.

You may have to watch the flow of water you can adjust this by using the valves on your inlet.

Just an idea, for the people who don’t have permission or the effort to go drilling into rental/parents or who CBF re-plumbing their house.

And dude, I think your idea is cool.. but just not convenient for all..

Cheers.
:thumbsup:

idea.GIF

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Nice thinking. BTW, hostility was not intended. The other comments were not directed at you. There are inconsiderate jack holes that troll the DIY section looking to start some conflict. Of all things, one of them even has no demonstratable talents but persists coming to the DIY board and trying to stir "it" up.

Also creative thinking will get you farther in life than anything else. (Except maybe sleeping with the bosses wife. :naughty: of course that could get you a new job too.)

To develop your design further, think of what could go wrong (from the simplest to the worse case scenario.) What could you do to prevent the problems that could occur. (hint: how could you prevent an overflow, what could happen during a power outage.) Also what could be done to make it even more automatic (anything to removing the human element).

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
sweet system CHOMPER.. I had some spare parts lying around the house and made an automatic water level as well. I was bored and decided to give it a go. Mine consists of a large container of water (15g+), a float switch and a pump. The float switch is wired to the pump and when the water level goes down through evaporation and what not the float switch comes down and the pump turns on filling the tank up until the float switch floats again and switches the pump off. I mainly made it to make it easier for my house mate to do tank maintence for when i'm on holiday. Next idea i have going is to someone automatically take some water out. I know about Neo's overflow system but i can't really have that setup here so this is the closest thing i can get.

MrRngr94

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2006
Central FL
I just had an idea based on this. Why not just have all the internals of the toilet tank connected to the back of your tank? Then you can hook it to both a water supply and a drain. Then whenever you want to do a water change all you have to do is flush! I know is sounds silly, but I think it would actually be a pretty cool idea. You'd almost have to have a lexan tank though and you would definately have to use all plastic & rubber parts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store