Severums with other cichlids

thezombiesarecoming

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2010
clearwater, bc
Hi! i've just got a quick question about tank mates for my green and gold severums. i've had them in a 55 gal community tank. the green i've had for probably going on 3 or 4 years now and he's probably about 6-8". the gold i recently bought and is only maybe 2-3". i just obtained a new 93 gal tank and am debating what to put in there. i have a cichlid tank in addition to my community tank and my question is this: can my severums co-exist with the cichlids? the cichlids i have are auratus, yellow lab, red zebra, and convict. (i know this site is more about larger fish and this is more of a smaller fish related question, but i'm hoping someone will be able to help me) thanks!

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
The auratus, yellow lab, and red zebra will not do too well with the severum. They like different water and different diets. Plus they are just plan mean, especially the auratus.

Titania

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2008
Massachusetts
I agree with Ash...no on the Africans. Convicts should be fine.

I keep my sevs with a Jag, flowerhorn and until they passed 2 big Johanna pikes.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Both my Severums are big (1 male, 1 female) but in seperate tanks because he's too mean to her. I've had excellent luck putting juvie anything in with both my Severums (my Oscars, too, for that matter). It's like they don't see juvies as a threat so they ignore them. The juvies (Texas, Cons, Firemouths, etc) no matter how 'mean' they're supposed to be automatically mind their manners when put in with a big fish. It's peace from them on. I wouldn't mix Africans with South Americans mainly because they have different body language and don't read each other correctly (so I've heard-don't know).
Oh-and this site is NOT about 'large' fish. It makes me sad when people think they're not really welcome because they assume "Monster" means "big fish". Think of "Monster" as in how big your passion for fish is or the attitude of the fish. A Con most definitely has a monster attitude even at 1 1/2".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store