Power Outtage

mindgame

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
MINNESOTA
I was just informed that my power might get shut off tomorrow cause my ass hole landlord didn't pay the bill. Anyone know how many water changes will be necessary to keep my 13 inch RD alive. Not sure how long it will be off but shouldnt be more then a few hours if at all. 75 gallon tank. Parameters are perfect as of now.

syndicate

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
battery powered air pump? rent a generator?

mindgame

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
MINNESOTA
Dont have one and i have class from 10 to 1 tomorrow so i wont be able to get one soon if it gets shut off in the morning.

syndicate

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
could u not get up early n rent a generator?

syndicate

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
its just if your power goes out for a few days i doubt u could keep up with the water changes 24/7... plus your bb would die aswell so if u diecide to water change/air pump take your media out off your filter and place it in the tank

mindgame

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
MINNESOTA
Part of the problem is its one in the morning and i just heard this from a roomate who heard it from a roomate who is sleeping. I dont know any details i just know it might happen. Going and getting a generator is not really feasible being that i am a poor college student and i live in a small basement/poorly ventilated room. If it does get shut off it shouldnt be for more then a few hours i would think but i dont have the details.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Do you have a UPS on your computer. You can run an airpump which runs between 2 watts for a tiny one and 7 watts for a larger one. Even the smallest UPS would run your airpump for many days!

Be careful with your filter though, some water filters can get damaged if run on a UPS that is not pure sine wave. I have had no problems running aquaclears off of a stepped sine wave UPS. Most waterfilters run very low wattage also and can also be run for many many hours on even the smallest UPS!

Aridd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Oregon
screaminleeman;3805463; said:
Do you have a UPS on your computer. You can run an airpump which runs between 2 watts for a tiny one and 7 watts for a larger one. Even the smallest UPS would run your airpump for many days!

Be careful with your filter though, some water filters can get damaged if run on a UPS that is not pure sine wave. I have had no problems running aquaclears off of a stepped sine wave UPS. Most waterfilters run very low wattage also and can also be run for many many hours on even the smallest UPS!
sounds interesting, more info, where do you get them. what kkind of wattage/where do they hook into.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Aridd;3805599; said:
sounds interesting, more info, where do you get them. what kkind of wattage/where do they hook into.
UPS (Uninterupted Power Supply) are available all over. Walmart, Staples, Office Depot all carry numerous models. APC is one major brand.

They range in wattage from 50 -> megawatts and in price from $20 to hundreds of thousands!

270_fam.jpg

Even a cheap $29.99 model like above would keep airpumps running for days in a power outage. I have used a 450W for airpumps and experimented with a small AC/20 waterfilters without a problem.

The pure sine wave (smart) models usually start in at around $200. I got a minuteman 1200w/ 1000V pure sinewave UPS for under $300. It has eight powered plugs and eight more surge protected plugs. I have 5 HOB filters and 3 airpumps attached to the UPS plugs.

The UPS plugs right into your wall socket and runs off your home electricity until a opwer outage when the battery backup kicks in.

Aridd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Oregon
yeah i did some research and found out about them, itd be nice to have. Theyd keep airpumps running for DAYS though?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store