Bottom Feeder Imputs... comments please

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Hey guys, so i would like to see some options for cleaning up the left over food on the bottom of the tank. I am not overfeeding they just jew up the food and it exits the gills. My SRT always bites plecos and the spines bother his mouth so they are not an option.

the bottom feeder must be able to deal with a srt and future peacock bass.

180G , though the max size of the fish is not really a problem. I have bigger tanks to drop them once they outgrow. I need something to clean up the tank , but is not an eye sore. Any suggestions?

The srt is a good 10 inch fish too.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Channel Catfish are subtrate vaccum cleaners, but will also get huge. Both the Blue's and Albino's I have kept were very handsome fish IMO. They are also dirt cheap as juvies and if they did not make the cut, at least it would not be a huge financial hit to you!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You said your SRT attacks your plecos so Channel cats or any other smooth skinned fish might be fair game as well.How about smaller growing Doradids such as Raphaels and the spotted ones.They normally come out at night but they would probably learn to come out and do their thing when they sense the food on the bottom.What is an SRT?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
TheCanuck;3806589; said:
Super Red Texas Chichlid. He swims around with other fish no problem , its just that the pleco lays around to much so i think he gets bord and just starts picking on him because he isnt constantly swimming.
Oh okay,I knew the first letter had to be for super but I just could'nt remember the other words.

johnnycoolxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Grandma's Basement
You might want to get a Geo. My favorite one is the Geo. Steindachneri (red hump) because they look so distinctive. They'll always dig through the sand/gravel looking for food.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
johnnycoolxx;3807011; said:
You might want to get a Geo. My favorite one is the Geo. Steindachneri (red hump) because they look so distinctive. They'll always dig through the sand/gravel looking for food.
Thats a good one.I never thought of Geos.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Can't go wrong with pictus cats, they're fast and are constantly looking for food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store