Ray identification

dave_oddballs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2009
lancaster
hi, been offered a pair of rays recently, the guy selling them says they are 'true histrix' rays, but also says they were caught in peru, which meens they can't be true histrix as they are caught in brazil.
another person who i asked says he thinks (not for definite) that they may be yepezi, but to my knowledge these are caught in venezuela.
i appreciate the fish is young and not the easiest to identify but if anyone could point me in the right direction id appreciate it!

cheers, Dave

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
They are false yepezi, def not true hystrix

dave_oddballs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2009
lancaster
i just need a scientific name really, i know its not histrix, as i said in the post its caught in peru, not brazil, yepezi are from venezuela.
does anyone konw what it is please?
i don't want to know what it isn't.

dave_oddballs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2009
lancaster
ok thanks, are these cheap and common rays then?
does anyone know anything about them?
also when you say yepezi do you meen ones listed as 'true yepezi'?

Dave

African_Fever

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Canada
IMO, the few adults that I've seen of them are quite a unique ray, and nicer than a regular motoro. I brought some in a while back and sold some to red_dragon99 on this forum, and the most recent updates of them from a while back kind of make me wish I had kept them!

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
Yes, I have a Yepezi like that too. I like him very much - his behavior is unique and he's extremely active - more than my other rays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store