trying to convince my work (LFS), opinions please

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
my work, a local lfs, always has there tanks slightly low on water, you can always see the water below the black edge of the tank, now to me, it makes it look a lot less interesting, breaking the illusion of a little self contained world, but they dont like me always toping off the tanks, i think it makes it look so much more professional and generally prettier when all the tanks are full up just past the black rim at the top. so my question is do you agree with me, i always think less of fish shops when there tanks arent completelly full, looks unprofessional, so do you agree, or do you like seeing the top of the water below the rim.???/? opinions please

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
It does look neat but i think it gives the store character as long as the tnk are maintained and stock good quality.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I dont think too many of the customers will care one way or the other as long as the tanks are clean and the fish look healthy.The place I used to work at kept the water below the rim so that the return water did a better job of oxygenating the tanks.The store was not air conditioned and in the summer it was like a sauna.

mdb_talon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
ofallon, mo
Darth Scohin;3806377; said:
Nope I don't agree with you....Some fish such as Bichirs, Labryinth Fish ie Bettas, gouramis need fresh air to survive....I would just deal with it
I would assume that in the LFS there is not a lid on the top of the tank so it is probably irrelevant in this regard. Just speaking from experience with all the LFS in my area most tanks are in cabinets and the tanks dont have lids and have 12 to 24 inches of air above them.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
mdb_talon;3806586; said:
I would assume that in the LFS there is not a lid on the top of the tank so it is probably irrelevant in this regard. Just speaking from experience with all the LFS in my area most tanks are in cabinets and the tanks dont have lids and have 12 to 24 inches of air above them.
Most of the older stores in this city have lidless tanks which would explain the dried up fish on the floor that I would somtimes notice.

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
yeah, only a couple tanks at my work are without a top, those i would be keeping lower obviouslly, but most have tops, and i didnt mean sealing them, there will be plenty of room for bichirs and others to get a gulp or air, just taking the water just past the lower part of the black rim, looks so much nicer in my opinion

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store