What are the most important factors for 'overstocking'?

jnms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
London
Talk of overstocking comes up quite often here. Some people are ok with it, and others are not. I think both sides of the discussion have a lot of fair points. However, leaving all that aside for a moment, I'd like to get some opinions on what people feel are the most vital factors to successfully overstock a tank.

For example:

• How far overstocked is 'reasonable'; 110% of tanks capacity (so 10% overstocked). What about 120% or 150% etc? What do you feel is ok?
  • Overstocked can mean a number of things:
    • Putting a large fish in a small tank
    • Putting too many fish in a tank
    • Not having enough filtration
    • All of the above
    • Any other definitions?

Which of the above definitions is easier to achieve success with?
  • What do you feel is the most important factor to successfully overstock a tank?
Overstocking my tank is an idea I often play with, so looking for as much information as possible really.

ThaDude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2009
Billings
Chemistry. Everything is Chemistry.
Do Chemistry = achieve results.

Chemistry, Chemistry, Chemistry.

+ more Chemistry.

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
Water changes.

If you had a pipe supplying a continuous flow of fresh water, you could keep a tank packed full of fish; even without a filter.

If I lived in Florida near a lake, I would pump water from the lake into my house, divide the flow among all the tanks and then drain the overflow back into the lake. Simple set up; no filters or heaters. The tanks would be packed full of fish with little concern about overcrowding.

I have a creek in my back yard and I have been seriously thinking about pumping the water into a holding tank to warm it up; thus avoiding the chloramine and other stuff in my public tap water. Too bad the water temperature is too cold most of the year to use it as a continous feed. I already have a pipe that drains my old water back into the creek.

Red_Belly_Pacu

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Earth
The worst thing about overstocking is that when the filters cannot handle the bio load which would lead to ammonia and nitrite in the tank.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
VFC, do you have a plan to deal with territory issues?

jnms, you are intentionally trying to set up a tank that is going to be unpleasant and un natural for the fish? Seriously, you are asking how to successfully make fish live in crowded conditions by meeting only their physical needs.... Wow.

Please consider either selling off your tanks or changing your way of thinking to become a responsible pet owner.

I am shaking my head here.... I cannot fathom anyone wanting to intentionally make a miserable environment for a pet to live in.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
While bio load is the main issue, overstocking can simply mean putting fish that grow too big in too small of a tank. i.e. a 14" dovii in a 55 would be overstocking since the tank is only 12" wide. Sure, the fish can live in the tank and the water may be pristine, but its overall health and longevity is greatly compromised.

Overstocking is anything that compromises fish health.

mdb_talon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
ofallon, mo
Clearly chemistry is important, but it is far from the only consideration. With enough filtration and water changes I could keep a RTC in a 55 gallon and still have good water quality. Does not mean he would live long or be healthy though. As with your original post you listed several important considerations, but I dont think there is a good general answer because it depends very heavily on the type of fish you are putting in. Some do much better than others in crowded situations for example.

esse

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2006
Henderson Nevada
Putting the moral issue to the side. (Because that was not the question).
1. Overkill filtration.
2. Over kill water changes, filter maintenance, and general tank maintenance.
3. Need to be very lucky and good on picking out the fish (Aggression issues).
4. A very well thought out and planned feeding schedule and diet requirements.

This is a lot of work and not recommended.

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
The most important factor is the fact that fish only grow to the size of their tanks and don't tell me they don't cuz I already know and I have been a fishkeeper for many many many weeks and all my fish were very healthy before they died.

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
bob........... you are SOOO wrong fish DONT grow to the size of the tank that is a myth! a RTCF will still achive 3.5 foot in a 75 gallon only thing is it will be deformed and stunted. like many fish kept in a 55. an oscar in a 55 still will achive its full size just again deformed and stunted... and ive been keeping fish longer then you have try 9 YEARS not WEEKS, YEARS so look up the myth again then post PLZ cause thats not true.... im tired of ppl saying fish only grow to the size of there tank.. ITS A MYTH!! well if they were healthy before they died what was the water CHEMISTRY???? fish may look heathywhen they die for no appernt erason but what is the waters CHEMISTR?? how high was the ammonia, nitrite/rate, ph, kh, gh??? that all has a big facter on why the fish died looking healthy..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store