HRP X Pink Convict Breeding Question

RickyOutlaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
Chicago
What would you get if you crossed a HRP to a Pink Convict ?

What colors would the offspring get ???

50 - 50 ???

I bought a female from my breeder who said she was a Gold Morph HRP , Yet she looks like Pink Con to me ... So What colors should i expect ? I heard half and half ....

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
well if they are both HRP and this trait is only one gene (not a mixture of mutiple genes acting together) then it would depend on the whether the male was a carrier for the leucistic gene or not, if he is a carrier then the offspring would be 50:50 if he is not a carrier then all the offspring will come out normal colored but will be carriers for the leucistic gene so you could then cross one of the babies back to the mother to get 50:50 or to each other to get 25%normal, 50%carriers, 25%leucistic

im not sure how it works when its hybrids though since they are so closely related it may work the same way, and IMO it does look like a leucistic HRP to me just because it has that bluish tint in its anal fin, if you look at VRWC pics that he posted of his HRPs you will see pic of a leucistic one)

WildCAught

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Riverside, CA
Ok, this cross happened while I was in El salvador in 2007 in one of my tanks. I raised one. You will not get the mettallic blue from the HRP into a convict. you may get highlights.

With that being said I believe that your female is a pink HRP. I've never seen a pink con with that kind of blue.

You will likely get at least a portion as pink and the rest will be regular HRP.

Please keep them pure. There is no need to improve on perfection.

RickyOutlaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
Chicago
Steel1978;3809376; said:
the pink looks leucistic to me it has the blue on the gills and mouth

Yeah it is , after reading more about it online , i found it do have a Leucistic HRP , i did not know ...

WildCAught;3809399; said:
Ok, this cross happened while I was in El salvador in 2007 in one of my tanks. I raised one. You will not get the mettallic blue from the HRP into a convict. you may get highlights.

With that being said I believe that your female is a pink HRP. I've never seen a pink con with that kind of blue.

You will likely get at least a portion as pink and the rest will be regular HRP.

Please keep them pure. There is no need to improve on perfection.
I have about 50-100 fry , all still eating off their sac , I cannot wait. What would you guys recommend so i keep that blue very intense ? Would inbreeding help ?

WildCAught

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Riverside, CA
Since they are both HRP the Normal offspring will look just as intense as the dad.
The Leucistics will look like leucistic HRP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store