i'm eating gar

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
xander here..

we just gutted some gar, going to eat it soon. just some quick questions...

the egg sacs are the the things the guy holds at 9.32mins of this vid right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r16h3gWFtGs

and when we opened the gar, there's a yellow slime(kind of like fat in other animals) that i haven't seen in vids...is it alright to eat the gar still?

thanks

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
you can see the yellow 'slime' on the meat in the first pic

the yellow stuff inn the second pic is pretty jellylike..

is it safe for eating still?

Image0039.jpg

Image0040.jpg

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
If i were you ill try to remove the yellow slime.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
what is the story behind this gar...did you buy it at a fish market, or was it a pet? if it was the former, then go for it, if it were the latter, i would seriously reconsider. with all the materials that go into a fish tank, you're going to be taking on some more highly concentrated minerals, nutrients, and potential toxins than a fish in the wild.

i would eat a gar that i caught, but i don't think i'd eat a gar that i've kept in captivity for a period of time. the yellow you see there are fat bodies...more typical in captive fish. yours looks to have been a male judging from the reproductive structures.--
--solomon

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
the flesh kinda reminds me of catfish. tells us how it tastes lol. btw where did you get the gar?

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
it's been in a friend's pond and they were getting pretty beaten up by some turtles...i didn't want them in my tank so long story short he chucked em in the freezer. since we've always wanted to try gar & they aren't avail in the wild.....

would the toxins really be bad if we just ate a really small bit? just enough to get a taste.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
alcohologist;3812009; said:
it's been in a friend's pond and they were getting pretty beaten up by some turtles...i didn't want them in my tank so long story short he chucked em in the freezer. since we've always wanted to try gar & they aren't avail in the wild.....

would the toxins really be bad if we just ate a really small bit? just enough to get a taste.
i really want to use the attached image...

...but on the flip side, you'd likely be ok for just a taste if you cook it well...freezing will allow breaking down of some compounds, and those fish are pretty tiny, so you're not going to get a ton of meat anyway. i wouldn't do it, but then again, we can get wild fish out here--
--solomon

Picard Disappointed.jpg

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
E_americanus;3811954; said:
what is the story behind this gar...did you buy it at a fish market, or was it a pet? if it was the former, then go for it, if it were the latter, i would seriously reconsider. with all the materials that go into a fish tank, you're going to be taking on some more highly concentrated minerals, nutrients, and potential toxins than a fish in the wild.

i would eat a gar that i caught, but i don't think i'd eat a gar that i've kept in captivity for a period of time. the yellow you see there are fat bodies...more typical in captive fish. yours looks to have been a male judging from the reproductive structures.--
--solomon
Definitely a male.. Also no question I would not eat that. Clearly a captive fish with that much fat. You would never see a wild fish like that. Only captive fish get those thick fat deposits. I'd never eat a fish like that as it is very questionable what is in that fat. Even if I caught one in the wild like that I'd seriously think twice.

Those fat deposits though scream Captive fish on a captive diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store