Spot Feeding Gars

haxjester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Toledo, OH
Right now my gars are at the point they are all eating tilapia, but only half of them (the spotted gars) have figured out to get it from the bottom of the tank when it sinks. I've been using a feeding prong and my fingers to spot feed the rest (and the aro when he takes it!).

It takes away a bit of time, and can be a pain at night when I'm tired, and just want to drop the food in and lay down, but.... I enjoy hand feeding them! It's kinda like my moment of zen for the day. I find it fun to hand feed the fish. They were scared at first and if they missed the food and hit the stick they would shy away, but now they just go for it and hit hard! They've knocked the stick out of my hands a couple times. When they take the food right from your fingers at the top of the tank it feels like training a dog. I look forward to when they are trained to just eat tilapia and shrimp off the bottom of the tank, and floating pellets from the top, but even after that I think I'll spot feed now and then just do it.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
heh, all my gar take tilapia and shrimp(they prefer the shrimp) off the bottom of the tank

Mercury2234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
Orlando, FL
Yeah, mine too wont eat off bottom... I use a BBQ wooden stick to target feed them. I tried a few times to hand-feed them, but I got bit a few times...one time it started to bleed. It wasnt bad, just like a tiny tiny needle breaking your skin.

Let me us know what you do to train them to eat off bottom...

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
haxjester;3812282; said:
Right now my gars are at the point they are all eating tilapia, but only half of them (the spotted gars) have figured out to get it from the bottom of the tank when it sinks. I've been using a feeding prong and my fingers to spot feed the rest (and the aro when he takes it!).

It takes away a bit of time, and can be a pain at night when I'm tired, and just want to drop the food in and lay down, but.... I enjoy hand feeding them! It's kinda like my moment of zen for the day. I find it fun to hand feed the fish. They were scared at first and if they missed the food and hit the stick they would shy away, but now they just go for it and hit hard! They've knocked the stick out of my hands a couple times. When they take the food right from your fingers at the top of the tank it feels like training a dog. I look forward to when they are trained to just eat tilapia and shrimp off the bottom of the tank, and floating pellets from the top, but even after that I think I'll spot feed now and then just do it.

hey mike,

glad to hear the gars are doing well! yeah, i eventually got tired of spot-feeding the two i had here at home so i just dropped some tilapia in when they wouldn't take it off the stick. after feeding the basement gars i came back upstairs and the tilapia was all gone! i've been just dropping food in ever since and they pick it up within 20-30 min. you may want to try this as it will force the others to learn...at the same time, sounds like you prefer to spot feed from time to time, so that's cool too!

did you end up picking up any new species from fish drs? keep us posted on how the spots (and others) are doing!--
--solomon

haxjester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Toledo, OH
I did end up picking up those 2 longnose gars, and the florida gar from fish drs. also picked up some koralia 3 powerheads. cant thank you enough, they really hooked me up. the florida and one of the longnose gars were really washed out colorwise, but they have darkened up considerably already. the spotted gars have very distinct patterns now too. also i noticed the spotted gars seem to be smarter? or at least easier to train. i figure its probably because they are younger and captive bred. heres the only good recent pic i have so far, i really need to get a better camera to show these guys off.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
they are all looking great mike! quite the gar collection you have amassed in a brief time! i'm sure they'll all "learn" from each other in terms of eating non-live, so you should be set! glad to help, and glad they were able to hook you up!--
--solomon

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
man, they are beautiful!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store