New stingray aquarium

lozza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
Torquay
I am soon to be getting a 6', 2', 2' tank.
It has already been ordered and i want to keep stingrays.

It will be my first time at keeping rays but ive done alot of research on them for the last 2-3 months and feel that keeping them should be okay.

The only problem i have is which stingray to keep.....
going in the tank as well is two 7-8 inch discus
4 medium wild angels
and a small dwarf shovelnose cat.

I was thinking about keeping retics as they stay relatively small but they would be wild ones and ive read that they can be quite fussy about what food they eat.

The only other ray that is in my price range that i can get hold of is a motoro. i have heard that these are usually the best rays for begginers but my only problem is that it would probably get too big.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that would be useful?

cheers

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
I would say Hystrix, they stay small and will last you years in that tank..

mareshow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
ditto, Histrix are a little more expensive but you will be really happy with them. I was in the same dilemma as you but i went for scobinas, make sure you have lots of filtration, i have three canister filters running on mine and i think its just enough.

AngusJB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
north east england
I'd probably just go for the motoro it would be fine for a good while, and they are easy to move on once it has outgrown the tank if you cant upgrade.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
hystrix they are not much more than a motoro and this way you wont have to git rid of your favorite new pet. you can usually find them in the 150-250 range. but make sure you are buying true hystrix.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i started with retics and in hind sight i would have been better off going with a hystrix or motoro...though i would like to breed retics in the end i have lost 3 rays of 5 due to random death, poor shipping quality, and not eatting with parisites...personaly i say pay the little extra up front as it will pay out in the end...

lozza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
Torquay
where would people recommend getting a hystrix from?
I live in the Uk and my lfs cant get hold of any. Does anyone know of any good supplyers of hystix in the uk?

cheers

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
getting real hystrix in the UK is not easy

dont take the word of a seller that what they have are real hystrix get pictures and post them on here for a real ID

lozza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
Torquay
i think i will go for a motoro...... if so how many do people recommend for my tank.

I was thinking of just one male as they stay smaller?
Is this okay?

cheers

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
With a Male Motoro you could probably get 1.5-2 years in that setup. They don't grow as large as
females and tend to grow a little slower. (Sometimes)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store