FL ate a gravel rock, I'm stressing

CrazyJ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Vancouver B.C.
While snatching a Rosie from the bottom he got a rock in his mouth and swallowed it, he has spat the fish out and is acting weird. He isn't freaking out or anything but he should be eating and isn't doing that. He is still breathing at the surface but is definitly not being himself. Will he be able to spit it up? Is there anything I can do for him? Thanks

CrazyJ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Vancouver B.C.
He did just eat one, looks like he is going back to normal. Will haveing a rock in his belly cause problems? And there goes another one.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
just leave the fish alone for now as there isn't much you can do about it that won't exacerbate the situation. if the rock is small enough it may be able to pass it; if it remains in the fish it should be ok as long as it doesn't block any digestive function, but again, not much that can be done. don't expect the fish to eat for a while, and try not to do anything to spook it. fish should be ok eventually--
--solomon

CrazyJ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Vancouver B.C.
Thanks for the reply. He seems to be acting normal now, he did eat all the rosies in the tank, so thats not a problem. Hopefully his internals are in good order. I hope for his sake it doesn't go out the back end, that would cause him extreme discomfort. Can a fish just have a pebble/rock kicking around its stomach for his lifetime? Maybe he will eventually break it down (that seems optimistic though). I intend to change from the gravel to sand, but I can't do that till I graduate out of my program and actually start my career. The cost just isn't in the budget right now. Thanks though, having people like you on this forum is what makes it great. I appreciate the advice.

DDragon888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2010
here
Crazy- I hope all the best for your fish. My arowana did the same thing a couple days ago. he's about 17inches. I can see a little bulge on one side of his stomach. He wasn't able to eat the next day but a day later hes eating normal. I'm hoping that rock will pass through. I just bought a 500 gallon tank for home too.

I've also took all the stupid rock out.

CrazyJ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Vancouver B.C.
He has been fine since then, thanks for the concern. He was weird for a bit after eating it, then after about an hour he was back to normal, eating everything in sight. I doubt I will ever know what happened to the rock, oh well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store