tail spikes?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
do all stingrays have tail spikes? if not witch don't?

are they capable of stinging?

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Are you talking about the spikes that run down the back of the tail? If so then I believe the Retic is the only one that does not have them. All the other rays I have seen do. The brown rays tend to have a single row where tigers, flowers, and black rays have multiple rows. They are not capable of stinging with them just with the larger stinger. They say if you step on them the spikes on there tail can cut the bottom of your foot like a saw blade when the ray takes off. Have only heard that not witnessed.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
FishDog;3818559; said:
Are you talking about the spikes that run down the back of the tail? If so then I believe the Retic is the only one that does not have them. All the other rays I have seen do. The brown rays tend to have a single row where tigers, flowers, and black rays have multiple rows. They are not capable of stinging with them just with the larger stinger. They say if you step on them the spikes on there tail can cut the bottom of your foot like a saw blade when the ray takes off. Have only heard that not witnessed.
yes the ones on the back of the tail....that is what i thought...as for the retics being the only ones that don't have them...i have 3 rays...2 retics no spikes one new ray that most are saying retic, but it has spikes so i am confused...

naser90096

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2007
Singapore
Zoodiver;3819802; said:
Those raised 'spikes' along the tail are actually modified denticals (ray/shark version of scales) called "tubercles".
what's the function of the tubercles..?? can they do harm to us if scratched??

sometimes i see fungus growing on them, espcially the newly acquired ones ... some in my friend's pond too ... probably due to poor water management ...

killarbb

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
iowa
my retic has some of the tubercles. not many but there are a few

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
2 of my 3 retics don't have them, but my new one does...i was confused on the id of the new ray cause i thought retics didn't have them

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Retics will get them as they grow larger. Right now, my smallest hystrix and retic don't have any.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
spotfin;3821762; said:
Retics will get them as they grow larger. Right now, my smallest hystrix and retic don't have any.
how big are they?...do you have larger ones with?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
sbuse;3822231; said:
how big are they?...do you have larger ones with?
The retic is about 3 1/4", the hystrix an inch larger. The other 2 hystrix are 6-7" and both have tail spikes. The 6" one didn't have the spikes when I bought her last spring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store