feeding gar

lvescovi314

Feeder Fish
Jan 24, 2010
New York
i have a florida gar in 125 with an oscar. they dont have any problems getting along, or so i think, in fact i've never seen them interact. however my gar won't eat any raw meets, only live food and he's too slow for shrim and crickets, not big enough for crawfish, not interested in worms and feeders are bad for him. any tips on something good to feed him?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
get rid of the oscar. it will not work. no way around it. it is gonna be very hard to get him to eat prepared with that thing with it

lvescovi314

Feeder Fish
Jan 24, 2010
New York
would you suggest the same even if they're not bothering one another? is it that the oscar will eventually harrass him or simply never let him feed. I've 75g with only a green terror i can move the oscar to

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
the oscar most likly will never allow ur gar(or at least make it highly difficult) for him to get prepared

Mercury2234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
Orlando, FL
Try a BBQ wooden stick for target feeding...I have a PIG SENEGAL BICHIR, that eats everything...the moment I put my hand in the water, hes biting me for food. Anyhoo, I feed him, brush him aside, then I use the BBQ wooden stick with a piece of tilapia and target the gar. Keep waving the food right on the side of his mouth to the point of nearly touching it, and he will bite. Once he realize its food, its game on.

Although I never had an Oscar before, I read on numerous forums in this site that Oscars arent the best tankmates. In any case, if you have any sentimental attachment and cant part the Oscar, you might want to try this method. FEED HIM AND BRUSH HIM ASIDE! Hehehehe

Best of Luck,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store