should I get a gar?

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
I am looking for a new fish to go into my 135gal community tank and I was looking into maybe getting a gar but I dont know much about them. Before I go and do my research, I want to know if it is even compatible in my tank.

Currently, there is a mata mata turtle (dont worry, he does not bother the fish one bit), a PBass, Pacu, and a knife fish. Would a gar be able to cohabitate with these?

thanks for the responses.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
short answer: no.

somewhat short answer, but longer than the previous short answer: go ahead and do your research and you'll find out more.

reGARdless, i commend you for asking first as opposed to purchasing first. ...and i'm quite jealous that you have a mata-mata!--
--solomon

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
E_americanus;3822728; said:

somewhat short answer, but longer than the previous short answer: go ahead and do your research and you'll find out more.

reGARdless, i commend you for asking first as opposed to purchasing first. ...and i'm quite jealous that you have a mata-mata!--
--solomon
dang, okay thanks.

jack dempsey chan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Indiana
E_americanus;3822728; said:

--solomon

i agree no its not compatible

FishPrincess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2009
NYC /Orlando FL
sorry buddy research is #1 thing you should do

if you were to decided to get a Gar. Certain tank sizes and mates are not compatible with them and at worse case you end up loosing some/all fish or the gar. IMO i dont think gars make great community candidates. though some of our members have had "success" in that area.

if you want a Gar: research is a must, get another tank and find suitable tankmates for the Gar. Good luck buddy.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Garmama;3825440; said:
sorry buddy research is #1 thing you should do

if you were to decided to get a Gar. Certain tank sizes and mates are not compatible with them and at worse case you end up loosing some/all fish or the gar. IMO i dont think gars make great community candidates. though some of our members have had "success" in that area.

if you want a Gar: research is a must, get another tank and find suitable tankmates for the Gar. Good luck buddy.
among the other sensible things in the above post, this is one of the keys. gars really do best either with other gars or on their own (i prefer the former); there are actually not a ton of fishes that work really well with them, and those that do are generally bottom-dwelling fishes that stay out of the way (bichirs, SAL/AUL, etc).--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store