help..urgent

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
i setup my new 300g 2 weeks ago. added mulm and filter media to my tank anf filters. i had a very small ammonia spike .25ppm i added some prime and did a 50% water change to lower levels. here are water parameters.

ammo-.25
nitrite-0
nitrate -5
ph 7.1
temp 80

the problem is i ordered 2 reticulatus from tangled on cichlids today. i talked to jeff and explained the situation with my tank and he said there should be no problem just add more filter media, which i did and stay on top of water changes when i receive them wednsday.

here is the kicker that i just noticed 10 minutes ago. in the tank i have 10 feeder goldfish and 10 feeded fathead minnows i was using to help finish cycling. i noticed a pretty good outbreak of ICH on the minnows. i treaded the water with some ich medicine. i dont know if that was a good idea or not. i doubt the ich will be cleared up by wedesday and i worried that even with a water change some of the meds will be in the tank and harm the rays.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

even if i get rid of the fish in the tank the ich can still be in the water right? i planned on adding a uv next week but can get it done in time.

i could stall jeff maybe until thurday to ship the rays.

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
you should never let feeders cycle a new tank, media from an established tank is the best way to go. do it right or don't do it at all. especially on a 300gl, you should know better. LOL sorry if I sound like I am being an ***

i wouldn't get any rays, especially retics until your tank is kosher. Retics are super senstive and very difficult to acclimate. Motoros maybe able to survive but I wouldn't chance it.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
I usually do a fishless cycle. This is the first time I've tried the 2 minute method. I payed for the Rays after talking to jeff and he assured me I'd be fine but that was before the ich breakout He was clear he didn't want to hold the Ray to long. Do you suggest I remove the feeders treat the ich 1 more day and do a big water change?

Should I have added my arowana to the tank instead of the feeder? Is that whatu meant by doing it right?

omojena

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
nj
start all over. throw away ur minnows and golfish. change 100% of ur water. turn on filter and heaters and let the system run. put the rays and dirty filter media in ON THE SAME DAY.

2 little rays on a 300 gal will be fine....

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
Ok but will that take care of the ich problem. I should just get rid of the feeders? Isn't that kinda cruel. I also raised the water temp to 85

what normally causes ich. Been so long I forgot maybe my uv really works. I've never had ich On my 125

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
You shouldnt be anywhere near feeders no matter the situation in the first place...Scrap all the water like omojena and restart. You're going to have to go to your LFS and ask if they can sell you some bio-media to seed your tank. Your media isn't even cycled yet and you have rays coming in...

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
I threw away feeders. Changed all water. I have media I can use from 2nd canister on other tank. From 3 weeks ago. I shoulve just done fishless cycle. But too late now. Will prime hurt my cycle? I have some but now sure if I should use it. When rays arive I'll add as much media as I can.
I will stay on top of water changes

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Fishless cycling isn't incompatible with adding media from other tanks. All you were doing by adding feeders was introducing a source of ammonia. All you're doing by adding bottled ammonia is introducing.. Ammonia. When I do a fishless cycle I still use media from other filters - that way your fishless cycle completes even quicker.

As it stands now, I'd raise the temp up another couple degrees until the rays arrive then bring it back to ray temp before tanking them. Use your test kits daily, change water as necessary, and you'll be fine. Prime - assuming this is the dechlorinator you're talking about - doesn't stop a tank cycling.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store