I need confirmation

zipybublelipz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
Miami, FL
stingrays won't do well at all if kept in an exhibit that has an ammonia level ranging from about 3.0-5.0 right ?

i know its a ri-tard ( trying to throw some comedy in) question. But i would like to get alot of feed back and any other info if possible.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Yep, I wouldn't feel warm and fuzzy at anything over ZERO. They can handle a bit, but long term exposure to NH3 is well documented as VERY unhealthy for elasmobranchs.

Check out the publication called Cellular and Molecular Approaches to Fish Ionic Regulation for starters. It's a bit older, but it has some good info if you can get your hands on a copy.

There was a published paper awhile back about how elasmo species react in high ammonia levels. They studied sharks, but the idea applies the same. It talked about the negative impact on the gills, and how that lead to issues with pulling the needed O2 out of the water. It also looked at long term effects of blood chemistry in relation to exposure to elevated NH3 levels. That information was actually used to compile a widely used standard for water quality during long term transporting of elasmo species, since the ammonia level is one of the primary killers during transport.

Also check out the sticky at the top of this forum called "Why FW Stingrays Die: A guide to prevention". It's got a lot of good info. Not all of it translated directly to marine rays, but the same negative impacts happen.

And welcome to the site, Padawan. ;)

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
For some clarity, there are a group of people who often times confuse the details artificial cycling with cycling naturally using animals. Though advised against some common errors like housing rays in a system reading with levels of ammonia, some will argue that they have seen rays live through it... making it ok.

And for the record, I'm not one who likes to see any ammonia in my ray tanks.

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
you keep spelling retard wrong.

zipybublelipz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
Miami, FL
EXACTLY from the movie "hangover" LOL. And i was not referring to you zoodiver LOL. Hope you weren't ass - u -ming anything LOL :chillpill: please

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store