marble motoro breeding

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
who is successfully breeding?
i am not seeing a whole lot pups just wondering if this ray is harder to breed small number of pups etc.
i have been working on breeding for a while now and i have gotten just one pup.
it seems that i see alot more reg motoro and leos giving birth is this because more people are keeping these rays or do marbles have a lower success rate

AngusJB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
north east england
Most MM's are wild caught and so will take longer to breed, whereas many normal motoros are now captive bred and so will breed more readily in the tank......probably more to it than that but this will certainly be a factor

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I'm in the same boat John..... Have had Marbles for 3 years and have gotten 1 pup to show for it. I have several proven breeder Marbles and have not gotten anything from them. The one female I had that did give birth gave birth to 6 total. 2 stillborn and 3 passing over the next few weeks. She was like 18 inches across.

I think they may need to be a bit bigger then Motoros. The only people I saw breeding them on a steady regular basis had huge Marbles. Jim's, and Brad/Pat's were both really good size. They are the only ones I know of over here producing them on a steady basis. They are also the only ones I saw with big litters and I think even Marble big is only half what Motoro big is.

I definetly agree that it seem much easier to breed Motoro or black rays. Scott has even said his Marbles breed less then regular Motoros.

I think the trick is the most steady life possible (not moving, adding/subtracting rays, no enviromental change) lots of food, clean non fluctuating water parameters, and most important of all patience.

VERY anxious to see what the other side of the world has to say...... They seem to have better luck then we do it seems.

haxjester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Toledo, OH
Good info. I'm also curious to hear what successful breeders of marbles have to say. Besides loving how they look, and just enjoying having them in my tank, I'm also slowly putting together a group of marble juvies for a future breeding project.

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
I had a breeding trio. Sold them in 08 to pat with amazon stingrays.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
stingrayguy;3827078; said:
I had a breeding trio. Sold them in 08 to pat with amazon stingrays.
Nice to see you around again stranger.... :D

If I'm not mistaken that trio had to settle in with Pat for over a year before they were comfy enough to produce for him.

In my experience Marbles seem to be the winey, needy, prudes of the non tigger/flower stingray world. Don't get me wrong random pups happen every now and then, but as far as I know you can easily count on one hand the number of people that have bred them on a steady, regular basis in the US. And even of the ones that were, everyone has gotten out of or sold them. To my knowledge no one in the US is steadily breeding them now as Pat and Jim have both sold thiers. Hopefully I'm wrong and there is others out there, but I'm unaware of any. Maybe whoever ended up getting them from Pat will have luck getting them to produce regularly.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
DB junkie;3828305; said:
Nice to see you around again stranger.... :D

If I'm not mistaken that trio had to settle in with Pat for over a year before they were comfy enough to produce for him.

In my experience Marbles seem to be the winey, needy, prudes of the non tigger/flower stingray world. Don't get me wrong random pups happen every now and then, but as far as I know you can easily count on one hand the number of people that have bred them on a steady, regular basis in the US. And even of the ones that were, everyone has gotten out of or sold them. To my knowledge no one in the US is steadily breeding them now as Pat and Jim have both sold thiers. Hopefully I'm wrong and there is others out there, but I'm unaware of any. Maybe whoever ended up getting them from Pat will have luck getting them to produce regularly.
Pat did get the female to breed twice that I am aware of but they were not full marbles either time.
The last batch turned out to be only half Marble x Motoro.

Very last post.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281645

COOL MBU

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2006
MICHIGAN
I'm the guy who purchased the pair from Pat (Amazon Stingrays). The female gave birth to one pup on Oct.25 and was knocked up right afterwards,which would put her at 90 days as of yesterday,and showing strong movement over the last 10 days.I'm anxious to see if this will be a larger litter...hopefully so!!

haxjester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Toledo, OH
COOL MBU;3828385; said:
I'm the guy who purchased the pair from Pat (Amazon Stingrays). The female gave birth to one pup on Oct.25 and was knocked up right afterwards,which would put her at 90 days as of yesterday,and showing strong movement over the last 10 days.I'm anxious to see if this will be a larger litter...hopefully so!!
Wow! That's awesome to hear! Please keep us updated, and put some pics up as soon as you can!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store