Wondering if this is a Crocodile gar type II - Yes I read stickies

PredatorKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hi,
I'm new here, but not so new to the aquarium hobby. I've been keeping fish since I was in middle school and now recently have moved into housing some monster predator fish.

I recently went to the LFS and was suprised to find they had alligator gar babies there (2"), the other LFS closer to me had said they hadn't seen one in Illinois in over 3 years. I had done my research before going out and going bonkers and purchasing a beast that could be potentially taller than myself (6'). I do understand that I'll be needing upwards of 250+ gallons to house them and I plan on constructing a couple plywood tanks sometime in the very near future.

So tell me what do you think, is this a Crocodile Gar Species II? I believe that the pictures found in the sticky http://www.primitivefishes.com/Gars.htm resemble almost identically to one of the 2 supposed alligator gars sold to me.

Let me know what you think, if one of the two is that species his/her name will be Dundee.

Pics 1 - 2 Alligator Gar baby 3"

Pics 3 - 4 Alligator Gar baby 3" (this is the one that I believe resembles the Gator Gar Species II)

Pics 5 - 7 Alligator Gar baby 3"

Pics 8 - 10 More of one that resembles Gator Gar Species II

Let me know what you think, will post some pics of the rest of the fish we have sometime soon.

Thanks!

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
They look like juvi Florida gars. Once the stripe disappears with age it should become more evident.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
florida
there is only 1 croc II

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;3829309; said:
florida
there is only 1 croc II
haha, kinda sounds highlander-ish :)

to the OP -

as stated in previous posts, these all look like Florida gars to me. given the season we are currently in (unless they are coming from Asian farms) Florida also makes the most sense. none of those fish pictured are gator gars, that is for certain. if you look at some of the gator gar pics on primitivefishes.com (particularly the juvenile pics) you'll see that gators have a much shorter and broader snout than the gars you have pictured.

i am hoping to add a juvenile gar ID section to both primitivefishes.com and lepisosteidae.net in the near future, so hopefully that will help out in ID's since most people are purchasing YOY (young of the year) fishes at LFS. good luck with the gars!--
--solomon

PredatorKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
The LFS guy said that he couldn't get them from the states and had to get them shipped from a fish farm from Singapore.

408smokin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
At home
looks like some florida gar to me!!

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
E_americanus;3829618; said: