Rays with snails

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I gave my brother a histrix ray to put in his tank with discus and 4 ping pong sized apple snails. After about a month of this combo he noticed a small circular piece of skin missing on the rays back. Maybe the size of a pin head. I figured maybe he bumped it on something since he likes to swim a lot. Well my brother called me tonight and said it's back looks better but now the same size spot is around the rays eye. I told him I bet it is those snails but not sure. Does anyone have any ideas? Those snails are fast and will eat meat. I am thinking at night they are crawling on the rays back. The discus are only 3 inch so I know it is not them.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Yup! Snails. I had one put a racing stripe on a Motoro I had. Only thing in the tank was a huge apple snail. Stripe was about 4 inches long and an inch and a half wide. Looked like the skin was just stripped off. It did heal up ok but also affected the pattern. Time to make an egg grate cage and put them snails in solitary... Lol

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
My reticulated is just over 4 inches across the disc and managed to eat all 5 of my fully grown apple snails within 24 hours of being introduced to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store