driftwood question

Jkessler623

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Ohio
ive got a pleco and bamboo shrimp i need to get some driftwood for.do i have to go actually buy driftwood or can i go find a brach in the woods and put it in?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Yes. Getting your own drift wood can be risky but it's possible. The safe bet is just buy it at your LFS

The drift wood you buy will be actual drift wood that has been soaking and will most likely sink. It's a harder wood so it wont decompose noticeably and the bark will be off.

If you're looking for something in the woods I would look for a tipped over tree and go for the root area. That's a very dense wood and will hold up in the water. Clean the hell out of it, soak it or even boil it if possible. This is more for leaching out the tannins (brown tea colored water) than disease control.

Species of wood is critical. I would go for harder woods. The pines are no good. I think they will leach out too much and never sink and most likely just rot killing everything. Again the safe bet is to just purchase the wood

Jkessler623

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Ohio
if i got a piece of driftwood would it also serve as a proper cave for my pleco? because ive had people tell me it is a must to have a cave area for him

regalt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Ft Wayne, IN
Almost all my drift wood iv gotten is from the Maumee when I go fishing for walleye. I Just pressure washed the hell out of it, But I did have to put some big pieces of slate on it in order for it to sink.

Jkessler623

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Ohio
im looking at the prices for driftwood and they arent the cheapest things.especially on my budget.ive got a creek behind my house..do u think i could get a piece from there and boil it?

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
If you just want things to use as shelter for your pleco for cheap, you can use flower pots or pieces of pvc.

Lynda B

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Naugatuck CT
PVC works wonders in a tank. Just place a long rock or something against it and you can't tell it's there.

Personally, unless you have experience working with wood you can find near home, I would spend the money and know your fish are safe. But that's just my opinion. I have driftwood, I know it can be expensive. But it's also well worth it. It's an investment.

casewack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
29Palms CA
www.youtube.com
I've only ever used wood that I've collected myself, people say its risky but I've never had a problem. There's no good reason (IMO) to go pay for drift wood when you can get it for free outside, not to mention you have infinitely more choices by shopping in your backyard. The only problems I encountered where floatation, and tannins. Both pieces I used in my 200 where about 4 ft long so I could not pre soak them, so they floated half way out of my tank for about a month. And the yellow water went away after about a month too. So if you have the patience, get your own, it looks way more original and you will get exactly what you want.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
casewack;3833211; said:
I've only ever used wood that I've collected myself, people say its risky but I've never had a problem. There's no good reason (IMO) to go pay for drift wood when you can get it for free outside, not to mention you have infinitely more choices by shopping in your backyard.

So just to be clear. (1) The OP may not have access to suitable drift wood. I live in the desert and there's no drift wood. We have drift cactus but no drift wood. So there's a very good reason to go pay for drift wood. (2) I have not heard of drift wood bought from a pet store killing fish. I have heard of people using drift wood they found and the fish died from oil, pesticides, disease and so on.

I do think drift wood could be found "out side" but this OP is a very new fish keeper and might not be able to pick out suitable drift wood. It is risky! The best advice in this situation is, buy from a store. As a person gangs experience they may be out for a walk and see a nice piece of drift wood. Then go about treating it and prepping if for a fish tank. To suggest going out side and picking out a piece of wood for your fish tank is just wrong. :WHOA:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store