Should I Be Mad? LFS Rant...

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
My LFS recently got in a pair of small High-Fin Banded Sharks and I decided I was going to set up one of my older tanks for their cool-water needs. So I put them on hold about a week ago, because I want to make sure that all my ducks are in a row before I do anything hasty. I've a good past with the store and they always hold things for me. I go back to the LFS a week later, eager to buy my two fish. They were a bit expensive, even for an oddball that never comes around here, but I was ready to leave with them after a week of prepping.

The LFS employee starts getting ready to catch them, then discovers that their tails are a bit tattered and offers to keep them on hold for me until Tuesday (about four days away at that time, with the store closed a couple of days between). She didn't want me to bring them home and have to deal with an infection for the money I was paying. She said they would start medication that night.

I didn't have much choice but to agree, but I did offer my observation on the shredded tails. I asked that they move the two High-Fins out of the tank they were currently in due to the 10+ Red-Tailed Sharks that were in there. Without sounding snarky, I mentioned the aggressiveness of RTS's. She assured me they had not noticed any aggression and told me to come back Tuesday.

I go back on Tuesday and my High-Finned Sharks look even worse than they did before. Now the RTS's are visibly picking on them before my eyes. I have an employee start to get the net ready, and I decide to ask him if I can talk to the owner, whom I consider a good associate of mine, having spent well over 100 dollars there just a few days ago when he helped me himself. I explained the situation to the employee, that my recommendation that the fish on hold for me were moved away from the RTS's, and he left to pass the message along. He came back and said the owner said they will take them OFF hold for me while they medicate the tank, that the medication had only started the day before as opposed to the previous Friday as I was told, and that if I still want them after some medication I can check on them in a few days. Again I was told that the fish would not be moved.

I was pretty mad at this point, so I just agreed before I took my distress out on the wrong person, and I left. I feel cheated. I've made myself a regular there over the years, spent thousands, gotten on well with the owner and employees, and shown that I care more about the well-being of the fish before all else. I understand that moving a fish might mess up some computer numbers about what is where, but when there are some gourami's lounging peacefully in the tank above it, below it and to both sides of it, I think an exception can be made. I was literally watching the fish I wanted have their wounds picked at. I had already been denied the fish once so they could medicate, which they didn't do, and if I had taken them that day then the condition wouldn't have gotten worse. The care of the fish or the wishes of the customer both went out the window for conveniences sake. Owner thought I wanted a discount and that was that.

Needless to say, I am still fuming over it and haven't gone back. I feel bad for those two fish, because I won't be buying them, and for the price they are I am sure they will be getting picked on for a while yet.

I don't try to come across as a know-it-all at the LFS, because I know employees don't like that, and all I did was point out that the RTS's were chasing and biting the fins of the fish on hold for me.

Am I wrong to be mad? Sorry, I had to rant.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I understand that moving a fish might mess up some computer numbers about what is where,
doubt that. its just a case that for some reason, they did not want to move them to another tank.

perhaps laziness. perhaps they thought they were sick and did not want to spread infection. who knows.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
12 Volt Man;3835526; said:
doubt that. its just a case that for some reason, they did not want to move them to another tank.

perhaps laziness. perhaps they thought they were sick and did not want to spread infection. who knows.
Hmm. See, even as I complain about them I make up excuses for them! Talk about a loyal customer...

:irked::irked::irked:

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
thats just how some store runs, as if they know more than any customers. but they dont care bout the well being of the fish, nor do they care bout how they treat the customer. I'm used to that, because they r pretty much saying " do you want it or not, if not, get the hell outta here" ...

which reminds me of a Hong Kong famous slogan that was made up either by the gov't or the business organization group thingy, i forgot..... but it says . " nowadays, this kind of service manner wont work"

but ya, i say you have every right to be angry as a customer that is being treated like that.

Lynda B

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Naugatuck CT
Sorry you didn't end up getting the fish you wanted and were prepared to give a good home to. Hopefully, the owner will get your "message".... but sadly, he probably won't.

Cichla dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2008
Springfield MA
www.facebook.com
Sorry to hear that!

phobull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
In Yo Mind
If a shop did that to me i tell them 2 get stufffed, it has happened before! i told the owner how miuch the parrot was and he said not for sale and i said well call me if you change your mind i come back 2 weeks later and it was SOLD! i said why did u sell it? i come here every week and spent heaps at ur shop.

But yeah i dont trade my fry or buy stuff from there, yeah i went overboard but oh well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store